chapter 38.

"uhh, liam... is it?" the doctor calls out to him as his face is covered with his tears.

"yes?" he says his voice cracking as she walks over to him.

she smiles at him, with sympathy before taking a seat on the chair next to him.

"chantelle is very stable at the moment, however she is in a little bit of a daze." the doctor explains, watching liam's face light up. "it's honestly a miracle, midazolam kills liam; it's a wonder how she got it in her system."

"thank you so much." he says his eyes, red, as he looks up at her. "can i see her?"

"of course, just be careful." she says tapping his knee before leading him to chantelle's room.

as he steps in he sees her, laying there, softly breathing.

"liam?" the doctor calls out. he looks back. "are her parents coming?"

"yes." he says his voice so soft. liam begins to walk over to her bed and he stands over her, his heart soaring. 

her curvy body is covered in a white hospital gown, stiff as a rock. her hair is spread across the pillow, wildly as her head rests upwards. she's completely still as her body moves up and down, whilst she's breathing. chantelle's face seems pale, he resists touching her and calls out to her, instead.

"chantelle-" he says, noticing her eyes open almost immediately.  he gasps, slightly as her eyes flutter, whilst looking up at the ceiling. 

liam touches her arm and chantelle's body flinches as her head turns to the side to look at him.

he smiles, brightly but she doesn't smile back. this causes liam's heart to sink, a little bit.

"chantelle.. it's me?" he says leaning down to kiss her dry, brown cheek. she doesn't react.

"who.. are you?" she says her lips barely moving. liam's head starts to pound as she stares up at him, confused.

"i'm liam.. your boyfriend." he says his lips dry. she blinks, unsure.

"well.. i planning on asking you to be my girlfriend with this-" he says before pulling out the bracelet.

"everyone said that it was about time that i asked- i hadn't even thought of it until they told me; since everything seemed fine the way it was." he explains as chantelle's eyes drift towards the object, curious.

"it's pretty." she whispers as her eyes follow his movements. liam delicately places the bracelet on her cold wrist. 

"i picked out just for you." he says his voice shaking as he watches her smile.

chantelle smiles as this familiar warm feeling runs through her body, she feels her head lighten as the events from the past hour fill her tired mind.

she gasps as her heart beats faster, when mason's face enters her memories.

"what's wrong?" liam asks concerned. she grips his arm, tightly.

"the midazolam didn't kill me- how?" she says her thoughts aloud.

just then, the doctor walks in. she smiles at liam and glances over to chantelle.

"chantelle! i see you're alive and well-" however chantelle begins to cry, suddenly.

"oh.. sweetheart." she says walking over to her and comforting her. "i have some news, it wasn't midazolam that was injected into your system."

"huh? that's probably why i'm not dead." she says looking up at the doctor. the doctor laughs and nods.

"yes, it is." she says smiling. chantelle's face brighten seeing her wonderful smile.

"so.. what was i injected with?" chantelle asks still holding onto liam, strongly.

"it was some sort of fake.. kind of like a drug used to spike a drink." the doctor explains, calmly. liam glances towards chantelle as she wipes her tears with her free hand.

"oh, thank god." she whispers to herself, before letting out a deep breath. chantelle notices that liam is watching her and she looks at him.

"liam.. i'm so sorry." she says weakly. "mason was there when you came out to see me, i couldn't get away and that's when it happened."

"ah. yes, we'll need to discuss all that with your parents when they arrive." the doctor says whilst going through her papers. the two teenagers nod watching her leave.

"you shouldn't be sorry-" he starts but chantelle interrupts.

"we kissed each other and i feel so guilty for letting myself slip into his trap." she explains further. liam's eyebrows raise at this new information. "he was hurting me so i had no choice."

"and worst of all.. he ruined my dress!!" she cries out glancing towards the chair where her gold torn dress lays still.

"he ruined your birthday--he could've killed you and you're concerned over your dress; you amaze me sometimes." he says with a small chuckle. chantelle grins and kisses his nose, as liam blushes cutely.

"you're so adorable." she says before leaning her head on his shoulder. liam smiles at the compliment before speaking again.

"i really thought that i was going to lose you- i cried, babe." he says quietly feeling sort of embarrassed. chantelle looks up a him with a slight smirk.

"really?" she says placing her cold hand on his flushed cheek. she watches as his eyes stare back at him, intensely. "ah! i can't believe i missed that."

"your lucky i even cried for you-" he gets interrupted when she kisses him on the lips. liam then smiles to himself whilst wrapping his arms around her body. chantelle pulls away and smiles, showing her perfect teeth. 

then she looks down at her wrist and pouts, slightly confused. "what's this?" she asks, cautious as the charms dangle, lightly. liam frowns.

"i gave that to you five minutes ago and you don't even remember why?" he asks with a slight smirk. she looks up at him with big, innocent eyes. "it's a birthday gift and a proposal to become my girlfriend." 

"thank you and of course i'll be your girlfriend." 

however, just then her parents and little brother burst through the door; causing them to part.

"my baby!" her mother says before rushing up to hug chantelle. liam smiles, lightly watching the family reunite. 

must be nice.

"liam?" her father, jamal, asks turning towards liam. liam's body stiffens and he immediately stops smiling. 

"yes?" he says slightly worried. jamal smirks at his timid reaction and glances at him.

"thank you for looking after her for us." he says, sincere. liam smiles, again, but he's happier.

"you're welcome."