Arc 3:16 Valerie Osbourne

Valerie looked at anything but him. "Love, you're scaring me", Calvin expressed himself and held her sweaty hands. She didn't answer him and closed her eyes. He panicked and believed she had some side effects from the injection. "Wait here. I'll find a doctor". Calvin kissed her cheeks and arose. Before she could protest, he had already gone out of the chamber.

A moment later, Calvin returned with a doctor. The doctor was Mr. Omar and was in his late sixties. He had a long beard and his skin was dark. He had worked for the royal members of Zaveri for decades.

Calvin sat beside her and held her hand and draped his other arm around her shoulders, bringing her closer to him. Valerie noticed that he had been extremely touchy with her. He kissed her temple and said, "Tell Doctor Omar what's wrong. He'll help you". Valerie looked at him then shifted her gaze towards the old doctor.

"I...I...", she began and clutched her heart with her free hand. "It's okay, love. Take your time", Calvin reassured her and gently squeezed her hand. Doctor Omar nodded his head in respect and sat on the chair beside the bed.

"It...it hurts", Valerie informed them and laid her head on his shoulder. Calvin furrowed his brows. "Where are you hurting?", the doctor asked. She sighed and pointed at her heart, "I think I've gotten a heart disease". She naively stared at the doctor.

The doctor held out his hands and asked, "Can I please check your pulse?" Calvin frowned but allowed Doctor Omar to touch her wrist. Doctor Omar placed two fingers on her wrist. "Hmm...", the doctor tilted his head to the side. He stared at her and asked, "When was the first time you experience the pain in your heart?"

Calvin withdrew her arm from the doctor, and she blushed. "Eh...after I took a bath". Calvin smirked knowingly and stared at her. Doctor Omar ignored the couple and questioned her, "Who was there with you when you felt the pain?"

Valerie took a long time to think. She didn't feel her heart ached in pain when her uncle was here. She only felt it when Calvin was with her. "My heart only hurt when I'm with Calvin", she replied. Doctor Omar raised a brow and knowledgeably looked at her. He asked her a few more questions before he stopped.

"Queen Valerie I have good news. Luckily, you do not have any heart diseases. Your heart does not hurt because of pain. Actually, your heart beats faster and ache because you're with the person you love. My Queen, you're in love", the doctor diagnosed her. Valerie widened her eyes and her mind went blank. Her?! In love?! Calvin grinned in happiness and sent the doctor out.

In the court, hall sat all of the important officials of Osbourne alongside with their Queen and Prince-general Max plus the king of Zaveri. They knew Mike and his fellows would not give up and are preparing for war. Osbourne had let their Queen be kidnapped once, but they would not allow it twice. There's a saying, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".

"Queen Valerie you're not getting any younger and it's time to start your own family", a daring official brought up the theme every official in the room wanted to bring up.

Valerie rose an eyebrow. "Elaborate", she demanded. The official replied with respect, "The late King married the late Queen when they were seventeen and had you when they were twenty-one. With all due respect, I'm not saying you're old, but we believe that it would be smart to marry someone worthy of your status for the sake of our kingdom".

Valerie sneered and leaned her back on the throne. Who needs a man for the sake of a kingdom? "Well do you have any suggestions?", she asked with an arched brow. The official nodded his head. "My Queen we believe King James is the best match for you", another daring official exclaimed.

King Calvin narrowed his eyes and glared at the official. He slammed his hand hard on the large table. Some of the officials jumped in fear and surprise. The official who said that King James was the best match sweated. If looks could kill, then he would be no doubt seven feet under the ground.

"This King, king of Zaveri the biggest and second strongest kingdom after Osbourne, is the best match for Queen Valerie! Queen Valerie shall not marry anyone else except this King!" His voice boomed in power. Valerie mentally rolled her eyes. Here we go again...back to this King and that King.

The other officials shrank back and refused to make eye contact with the mighty and arrogant King of Zaveri. Prince Max smirked at the scene in front of him. He chuckled and stated, "Who marries my little niece has nothing to do with any of you. She is the Queen and ruler of Osbourne. Who are you to decide who gets to marry her?" He shifted his gaze between the officials and rested his eyes on Calvin. "Who she marries is up to her", Prince Max declared.

Valerie thankfully smiled at her uncle. The same daring official coughed and said, "Ehem...I guess King Calvin is the best match".

King Calvin beamed and looked at her, but his smile fell when he didn't see any happiness on her face. Soon the discussion about Queen Valerie's marriage was forgotten. They moved to another topic and discussed how to stop the vampires and about some other politics.

After everyone left the courtroom, Calvin walked towards Valerie. He stared at her face as she was in another world. He waved his hand before her eyes and she didn't react. He nudged her shoulder and said, "Val?"

Valerie was brought back to the present and focused her attention on Calvin. "Yes?" Calvin lifted her up and sat down in the throne then placed her on his lap. "What do you think of marrying me?", he asked and kissed her lips.

Valerie furrowed her brows and it didn't go unnoticed by him. She didn't believe in marriage. Her parent's marriage was just business. She didn't believe in love and wondered why people bothered with it if it never lasts. Why would people give someone to hurt them? She despised love and hated it, but then she got dragged into the game by Plum. She didn't know if she was capable of love. All she had ever known is love for wealth. Can she really love someone? Can she let someone in? Can he break down her walls? Questions after questions keep appearing in her mind.

"You did it again", Calvin's voice was restless. "Huh...", Valerie stared back at him. Anxiety was visible in his violet eyes. "You zoned out. Am I that boring?"

She hugged him, "Of course not. Sorry, I just got lost in my thoughts". He kissed her cheeks and hugged her back. "Back to the topic. Will you marry me?" He popped the question. Valerie froze and untangle her arms and arose. She backed away from him. Valerie nervously scratched her arm and looked away from him.

Calvin looked hurt and stoop. "Love?", he whispered in a sad tone. "I...I don't know". She was confused and scared. She turned around and was about to walk away from him when Calvin back hugged her. He tightened his embrace on her and placed his chin on her shoulder. "Don't you dare to walk away from me", his voice was stern and serious. Long gone was the soft and caring Calvin. He was the domineering King right at the moment. 

And this was the last chapter for today. I love reading your comments and your votes make me happy! See ya next time ;)