1. Her new life

Kolkata,

The entire city is sleeping peacefully while it was not at all possible for Anika. She woke up from her nightmare with a heavy breathes. She looked at the side table and immediately gulped whole glass of water looking at the time. It was one in the midnight and looked towards window.

Its then she noticed it was raining heavily. She stood up and moved towards the window and was looking at nothing in particular. The painful past was not letting her to have a peaceful sleep. All those hurting words and taunting looks were killing her inside.

Tum hoti koun ho mujhe mana karne waali? Sign these papers and get lost from my life! Mein tumhare jaise middle class ladki ko kabhi bhi apni family nahi maanunga! Sign them or else you know what I can do to the one you love so much!

Tum mere aur mere bete ki zindagi mein sirf aur sirf buraai leke aai ho! Chale jao humare zindagi se!

Its your stupidity that..

No! She yelled covering her ears to stop those voices. "Don't think about them Anika. Don't". She chanted the mantra and moved to the next room where her life was sleeping peacefully. He is the only reason she is still living. He stood beside her in every thick and thin.

She slowly chuckled seeing his baby brother with books on his either sides. She took all the books and placed them properly on the table. She was about to leave but a photograph held her attention. Slowly moving towards side table she took the frame in her hands and caressed the image of his parents.

"I promise to take care of Sahil", she thought and smiled. Covering him properly with the comforter, she moved back to her room and looked at the bottle of sleeping pills. She moved her hand towards it but stopped. She lied down on the bed looking at window.

I am responsible for everything that happened with me, she thought and silently sobbed.

*****

Anika woke up at six in the morning. Her eyeswere burning because of crying continuously for last night. She arranges her bed properly and starts doing house works along with preparing lunch for Sahil and herself. Sahil got ready and moved towards Anika who was busy in kitchen.

S: Good morning didi!

A: Morning Sahil!

S: Mein help karu?

Anika nodded no but he never listens to her. He took out bread from toaster and served it for himself as she eats later. Meanwhile Anika prepared milk with his favourite boost powder along with her coffee.

Sahil looked at her and saw how she changed in the past three years. Her sister who had no interest in cooking anything except aloo poori is now a good cook. She is not the same messy and clumsy girl like she was in the past. Gone was her khidkitodness. She talks less and gone was the sparkle in her eyes.

He remembered how she was with him when his leg surgery was done during the previous summer. Now he is able to walk properly without use of crutches. His Anika didi is indeed an angel in disguise for him but unfortunately someone couldn't understand.

He came back to reality when he was shook by Anika.

A: Where were you lost?

S: Nowhere di!

A: have your breakfast and drink milk also! I will also get ready!

Sahil nodded and ate his breakfast silently. Meanwhile Anika got ready for the day in a simple blue shirt and white jean. She immediately moved to kitchen to prepare Sahil's box along with his water bottle.