03: Stood Up

Luna Livingston

       I picked imaginary lint out of my hair as Kendall and Kate went on and on about God knows what. Although I'm the one who introduced them to one another, whenever the three of us got together, I seemed to be the oddball out. 

"Earth to Luna!" Kate giggled, waving a french fry in front of my face. "What do you think about Kendall's idea?" 

"Huh?" I raised my head and looked at both of them. "Ya'll talking to me now?" Kendall sucked his teeth in response. "We're talking about ways to help Ma out with these medical bills. She keeps saying she doesn't want to do chemo anymore, but in actuality, I feel as if she just can't afford it. I've been thinking up some fundraiser ideas."

I nodded. It seemed logical that Mom would be buried in medical bills. She had to pay out of pocket for Dad's funeral, and she's been paying out of pocket for her own bills. Although she still gets a portion of funds at Tumbling Tots, it's not as much as she had gotten physically working there. "How about something that involves the kids at Tumbling Tots?" Kate added.

"Yeah, they love her. She's all they talk about. But what exactly would we do?"

The three of us pondered over it while silently sitting in the McDonald's parking lot. "It's hot as hell outside, so something cool or wet." Kendall spoke, sipping his Sprite loudly. "A KIDDIE POOL PARTYYYY!" Kate said, a little too loud for my liking. "Or even a kiddie fair at the pool. There'll be little stations where they can buy stuff and whatnot. What do you guys think?"

"All racism aside, Kate," Kendall started. "What black kids you think gone wanna come to the pool when they can't swim. And what black parents going to let them?" I snickered. "We could also do swimming lessons." I smiled to myself for actually adding a good idea.

"Okay, so let me write all this down in my notepad and we'll get this show on the road." He said. After typing to himself, he looked over at me. "You know Chris is going to be there." He grinned like a Cheshire cat. "Ooh." Kate said from the back seat. "How did that secret lunch go? You never told us, which means maybe there was some potential sex?"

I rolled my eyes. "I wouldn't let him touch me with a ten foot pole."

"Ooh, It's that big?" I nudged her for her response and thought back to the previous day.

            I slid into the booth in the back of  Drago Centro in Downtown Los Angeles. My hands trembled as I fidgeted with the silverware already placed upon the table. I figured Chris was trying to be funny, since he'd recommended this place, knowing it was my favorite. 

I continued to look up, looking for any sign of him, but I didn't. However, he did tell me to meet him here at 5:00 and it was currently 4:00. Don't judge me. I just couldn't think about much of anything else, knowing I had to see him today, so I came on over. 

I looked down as my phone vibrated underneath my thigh. 

Unknown Number: Hey, I don't have anything else 2 do today, so I figured I'd just come on over 2 Drago Centro early. Is that ok with u?

I rolled my eyes at how alike I remembered we both were. I cleared my throat and stood up. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I put weight on my legs and moved them out of the restaurant and into my Chevy Malibu. I didn't leave right away, I just sat there hyperventilating. 

What was going on with me? This was someone I wanted to marry. Someone I'd loved so much, a very important part of my past. Why couldn't I breathe around him now? I shook the thoughts and unlocked the door, preparing to get out the car and go back in the restaurant when a very familiar Dodge Viper SRT pulled into the parking lot about 4 places down. I couldn't help but watch the car as I saw the door open, but no one step out. About five minutes later, Chris stepped out the car looking as breathtaking as ever.