12: Helplessness

Christopher Brown

   I never knew the meaning or feeling of helpless until this very moment and day. I held Royalty in my arms a little closer as I fought back tears. I tried to ignore the hateful stares of Ms. Lisa and Kendall across from me in the emergency room as well. I know they hated me because somehow, someway, this was my fault in their eyes, but I promise it wasn't. I would never put Luna in danger, let alone have her in the next room, fighting for her life and there was nothing I could do to help. 

Imagine coming home, expecting to greet your girl after months of not seeing her and she just not answer your calls? And you decide to go see her, and find out she's within an inch of her life. I just couldn't grasp any of this. I will never forget today, and not in a good way.

      "So you haven't heard from Kate either?" I asked Mijo as we rode down the road. Luna was supposed to come get me, but she wasn't answering her phone, and she was nowhere to be found, so here I was, in an Uber. It didn't help that the Uber was a superfan of mine and while I loved all my fans, I don't think it's safe to take selfies while driving down the road. The girl had already hit some traffic cones, I wasn't trying to get in any other accidents. 

"It's crazy because she talked to me all day yesterday, but today, she ghosted me. I was texting her earlier, but since she came from her lunch with Luna, nothing." My mind kept wanting to think the worse, but my heart wouldn't believe it. Maybe both their phones died. Luna had been forgetting lots of stuff lately, such as locking her door and where she keeps her notes and portfolio. "I'm updating my stop to Paradise Estates." I said to the woman driving the Uber. She smiled at me through the mirror. "Of course, Chris Breezy!" She giggled, maniacally. "Is that where you live? What's your address? What time of day are you usually home?" I politely ignored her and cut my phone back on, hoping to see some sort of text from her or something, but nothing. 

I thought she missed me. 

About 10 minutes later of riding and ignoring the Uber driver, we arrived at Luna's apartment complex. When we got there, we could barely get in due to the ambulances and police cars there. Good thing I had already picked Royalty up from daycare or I would have never gotten back down that way. The ambulances and police cars were bombarding the parking lot, so I offered to just walk. 

Mijo, Royalty, and I strutted through the parking lot, trying to avoid being seen. I pulled my hoodie over the better part of my face and stopped when I arrived at the apartment complex. I instantly saw Kate, drenched with blood and my heart dropped. Her eyes were stained with tears and she looked distraught. 

"You okay, Kate?" Mijo wrapped her in a hug. She didn't respond, she just looked at me with sympathetic eyes. Sad eyes. "Where's Luna?"  I asked sternly. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, but here Mijo was, hugging on Kate after not hearing from her, but yet, I still hadn't seen Luna. Not to mention, we were at her apartment complex, and Kate was covered in blood. Also, not to mention my daughter was here looking.

Kate didn't answer me. "Kate!" I was starting to get worried and anxious. "Chill, bro. She's shaking." Mijo said, but i ignored him. "Where's Luna?" I asked again, softer this time. She slowly pointed upstairs to her apartment. "I'm sorry, Chris." She cried. I sighed and almost fell to the concrete on the ground. 

"Is she...?"

Kate shrugged her shoulders and fought back tears of her own. "I really don't know, they threw me out, I-I.." She stopped talking to catch her breath and I ran off, to the apartment. I heard Mijo and Kate calling after me, but I kept running. Running to see what, I don't know, but just towards her apartment.