38: Surprise!

Luna Livingston

I sat on the cold waiting room chair, and waited for them to call me to the back. Although Chris had said he wanted to be here, he was late. He paid to have everyone else's appointments moved so he and I could be the only ones here for privacy reasons, and while I appreciated that, since he was late, I was lonely.

This was part of the reason things went sour with us in the first place. 

Since I let Chris back into my life, I let him alter my life. While I still had Kate and Kendall, Kendall was in a new relationship now so he couldn't talk to me as much, and Kate was still in New York with baby Cannon. 

Chris was truly my best friend and I had built so much of my life around him, that now that he wasn't around, I felt extremely alone. Sometimes, I don't know if I missed him, or I missed me. The me I used to be at least. 

I was staring at my crocs on my feet when Chris stormed in, late as ever, with a scowl on his face. His face lit up when he saw me, and I couldn't help but smile back. It'd been so long since I'd seen him smile at me, or at all.

"Wow, look at you, big belly."

I pretended to roll my eyes, and forced myself not to inhale his scent as he sat down next to me. He looked so handsome in his Nike sweat shorts that I barely noticed the scars on his face.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, pointing at the scars. He simply nodded, so I let it go. It's not like it was my place to ask him, ya know?

We sat in awkward silence for about five minutes until he spoke up. "Look, I'm sorry about Evie, okay?"

I looked over at him sheepishly. I pretended to not know what he was talking about. "What?" He fidgeted with his fingers. "I said I'm sorry about Evie. Turns out she's the one that had been texting you from my phone. I never knew you had an appointment, I swear. I wouldn't have missed this." He pointed at my belly. He seemed to be so in awe. Frankly so was I, but I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted, so until I could get to that point, I decided not to let myself get too wrapped into things.

"Chris---" I started, until a nurse interrupted us in the waiting area. "Ms. Livingston? Are you ready?" I nodded and waddled to stand up. I was only three months, but I was big as hell. Don't judge.

"And this is Dad I assume?" The nurse points to Chris and smiles, very nosily. I swear these nurses are becoming pettier and pettier by the day. "Yes." I said quickly as we followed her to a waiting area in the back. As she took my vitals and made small talk, I watched Chris watch us. Watch the experience. It made me a little sad because I wanted him to hold my hand as we walked, I wanted him to make jokes with me about my weight, all the things he couldn't do because we weren't together over a big miscommunication issue.

"Your blood pressure is a little high, but not that high where we should be alarmed just yet." She mumbled to us. I sighed and tried to take a deep breath.

In my first pregnancy, I had preeclampsia, which is basically where a woman becomes pregnant and has high blood pressure and water retention issues. Mine got so bad where they had to take the baby so early, he didn't make it. 

I just hope this time everything is different.

"What can we do to make sure this isn't something more?" Chris asked, startling me. "Like, is there something she could eat, or not eat, that could help? Maybe elevate her feet or something?"

The nurse shrugged her shoulders. "That's a question for your provider, I'm sorry." When she said it, she eyed Chris for a while and while it made me sick to my stomach, what could I say?