27: Uneasy Feelings

Luna Livingston

When I got home that night, no one was there. All my stuff was packed into boxes for my move this weekend, and the room seemed so cold.

Maybe this was foreshadowing my life? I thought to myself. 

Then, my positive mindset told me to remember that Kendall and Kate were coming with me for the three weeks, and once I came back, we could go to Mom's remission party and I could work on that baby with Chris.

I sat on the box that said 'MEMORIES' in a red sharpie marker. I wrinkled my face in confusion and opened it. I wasn't leaving for long term, so why would I pack this? This wasn't even my handwriting.

The box was fairly empty, with the exception of a few knick knacks. A pink Lilo and Stitch teddy bear, a rose gold necklace with a C on it and a letter. I opened the letter and began to read:

    Dear Luna,

I was hoping you wouldn't read this until your flight landed in New York, but you nosy as hell, so I'm sure you will read it before then. If you don't know, these are the first gifts I ever bought you. Before I was anyone, you loved me. Now that you are establishing your identity, I will be here every step of the way whether that is physically or emotionally. I love you past words. Safe travels, baby girl

-Daddy

I wiped the tear I didn't realize had fell and kissed the letter. Chris was so sweet sometimes it warmed my heart. He really was a good man and I really did need to do a better job at trying to trust him.

Like clockwork, the doorknob twisted and Royalty walked in with Chris not too far behind her. They both wore sad expressions and when I spoke no one answered. 

"Hey." I said again. "Is everything okay?" Chris cut on the kitchen light, illuminating the room. Ro walked on to her room and shut the door, as Chris sat on the bar stool and faced me.

"You so nosy." He said softly, pointing to the letter after about 2 minutes of silence.

"What's going on? I have been trying to get ahold of you for hours, Christopher."

"You want me to lie, or you want the truth?"

I bit the inside of my jaw and took a breath. "The truth please."

Oh, boy, here it is. He was sleeping with Evie. Or Nia.

No, no. Think positive.

"It's Nia."

Knew it.

No, think positive.

"She was on the porch when we got here, and she wanted to see Royalty. She of course, didn't feel the same way and wanted to leave. But I had to do something with Nia, so I took her to a rehab in Encino. I know you probably want her in jail, and I did too, but when I saw the look on my little girl's face, I knew I needed to do what was best for her. Years from now, when she can understand addiction and love, I want to tell her everything. Right now Nia needs help and for Ro's sake, I needed to get her some help. Please tell me you understand." He said in one breath.

I couldn't bring myself to say any real words, but I knew I needed to. 

I didn't understand honestly. That bitch got me shot, even though she didn't pull the trigger herself, she caused it and I hated her. She didn't deserve Chris' kindness or Ro's love. She deserved to rot like everyone else in the situation. She deserved to pay for what she did to me.