17: Reconnect

Christopher Brown

"I know, Mama, but you gotta go." I huffed, handing her a stack of hundreds. She was currently fighting me on leaving the house for the night with Royalty, and honestly, I didn't want them to go for the night either.. 

But my relationship was kinda sorta in trouble and if some alone time would help that, then okay.

Mama shook her head. "Chris, you know I don't like taking your money. And I don't like hotels. I really want to stay here." I rolled my eyes to myself. I really wanted to yell: "MA, GET THE FUCK OUT SO I CAN GET SOME PUSSY!" But things are more complicated than that.

Complicated like I don't want her to chop me in my neck. 

"I already made the reservations at the Four Seasons. Do a grandma/grandbaby massage or something, Ma, please." She looked me in my eyes and turned up the corners of her mouth. "Don't get that girl pregnant and ruin her life, Chris. God knows she can't take anything else on her plate."

I nodded and practically shoved her out the door, then raced upstairs to Royalty, who to my dismay wasn't even dressed. 

"Where's your clothes, Princess? I had your bag packed and everything." She looked up at me with puffy eyes.

Lord, this girl has been crying. I can't leave her while she's crying..

"What's the matter, Ro? Tell me while we change you out of this fairy outfit." I tried to help her, but she pushed me back. 

"No!"

"What?" I asked, taken back. "Ro, what's wrong? Grandma is in the car waiting on you." She sighed and crawled back into her bed. "Mommy loved me in this. It's her favorite. It smells like her." She held out her arm and the outfit did have what I remembered as Nia's scent on it.

"Oh, baby. You miss Mommy?" She nodded sadly. "Lots." 

This broke my heart because it's not like I can just take her to go see her in jail. This woman is missing. I tried calling her but her phone was off and she was no longer home. It's like she dropped off the face of the earth. 

To me, that was amazing. But to our daughter, it was the end of the world, so I had to do something. I pulled out my phone and called Nia's mom. I silently hoped it would go straight to voicemail, but it didn't.

"Hello? Chris?" I placed the phone on speaker. 

"Hey, Ms. Guzman. Sorry to be calling so late, It's about Roya.."

"Where the fuck is my..." I hurriedly took the phone off speaker and hung up. Judging by those words, she hadn't seen Nia so we had nothing to talk about. They didn't even know Royalty like that. 

I sighed, running out of ideas and sent Nia a text. 

I know you're going thru alot and I'm sorry I couldn't have been more of a help. However, our daughter needs you. She misses you. Please call her when you get this. -CB

Although, Royalty couldn't read fully, I showed her the message and sent it. "Mommy is going to read it and tomorrow when you get back, I'll let you know what she says, okay?"

She nodded again and began to take off the fairy wings. "Daddy?" She asked me as I searched through her bag for her jumpsuit she was originally supposed to wear. 

"Yes, princess?" 

"Mommy's sick, isn't she?"

I sighed. She was too smart for her own good. "Yes, she's sick. Really sick. Sicker than usual, baby girl."