24: Florida (Part One)

Luna Livingston

"Were going to be so late." Chris muttered to me as he rocked Ro back and forth in his arms. She was sobbing uncontrollably because she wanted one of us to stay.. to protect her if someone comes to take her again.

Chris and I have told her multiple times that the people who were responsible for that are gone now, but she refused to believe it. I really couldn't blame her though. My anxiety was also running through the roof.

I mean, I can't be the only one who doesn't think Nia just vanished off the face of the earth right? Chris says he hasn't heard from her since that night she replied to his text and that her phone has been cut back off since. She's missing out on a lot of things that Royalty has going on though and I know that's tough for any mother, so I wouldn't blame her if she wanted to come back around.. but I hope she doesn't. 

"You promise Grandma will protect me, Daddy?" He gave her his best smile. "Of course, princess." He was such a good father to her. I just know once I get pregnant, he'll be the best to our baby as well. 

"And what about you, Mommy? You think Grandma will keep me safe?" 

I looked around to see exactly who she was talking to. Mommy? Nia wasn't here, so who was she referring to? I looked down at her with her lip stuck out just like her dad and I couldn't deny her.. but this really felt wrong. Over the course of these 10 months Chris and I had been back together, I had grown to love her because to know her is to love her but damn. I would never want her to feel like life is that easy where you can just replace someone because you're upset with them. Regardless of how much I hate Nia to the core, she is and always will be Royalty's mother and I would be wrong to try to convince her otherwise just because of my personal feelings.

"Um..I.." I stuttered. I saw Chris' face and I realized he was just as shocked as I was, but he didn't want to upset her more then she already was so he said nothing. 

"Yeah.. Grandma will keep you safe." I said softly, a little disappointed that Chris didn't say anything. 

We waited on Ms. Joyce to come pick Royalty up after she'd calmed down from her panic attack and then we loaded the bags into the awaiting car. To my further disappointment, Mijo was driving. "Hey, Luna. How's it going?" He asked, as if he didn't break my best friend's heart into a million pieces. I scoffed and climbed in the backseat, turning toward the window. I heard Chris snicker behind me.

"Just leave her alone bro." He said, getting in on the other side. "Did I do something to offend?" He asked. I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "When's the last time you talked to Kate?" He sighed and averted his attention back on the road.

"So we still doing this?"

"Doing what, jackass?"

"Kate was just as my condo last night. Naked if you must know." I rolled my eyes at him. "She would never. You tried her like a bum and the Kate I know wouldn't just let that ride. Telling her she ruined your life by getting pregnant as if she's the one with the sperm. The nerve of you!"

He sighed and continued to drive, while I saw Chris out the corner of my eye casually pop a pill as if it was nothing. I decided not to acknowledge it and continue my discussion with Mijo. 

"I'm just not ready for a kid right now and Kate knew that. I'm not even ready for anything serious right now. At first she was cool with just sex but now she's just.."

"Watch your mouth, bro. If she hit you in the back of the head, it's nothing I can do." Chris said calmly. "No, let him say it. She, what? Came to her senses? Had feelings like a normal woman? Kate cares about you, like genuinely cares for you and eventually you had to know just sex wasn't going to be okay with her! You're such an ass wipe, I don't even know why Chris hangs out with you." I snapped. Instead of listening to his response, I pulled out my airpods and attempted to place them in, before Chris decided to let me know it would be a good idea if I heard him out.