05: Don't Distract Me

I previously published this just to find out it deleted half of my writing! But, now I have it corrected and I hope you all enjoy. Don't forget to comment your thoughts on this chapter as I am a new writer trying to better my craft. It means alot.

Mrs. Winston in the MM.

-Alexis.

Christopher Brown

      She scrunched up her pretty little face. "A job proposition? For me?" I snickered to myself. "Ain't that what I said?" I picked up the tablet covered with little pink unicorns. "You have a way with words, Luna. I could use someone like that at the office." She waved me off with her left hand, setting bowls on the little table with her right. "I would never work with or for you." I looked over to her when I realized she was serious. "And why not?"

She rested her hips on the edge of the table and folded her arms. This woman was the epitome of beautiful and I wanted to show her just what I thought of her so badly... but she invited me over here as a friend and God knows if I overstep that boundary, I'll never get another invite over here. 

"And what would that look like? Me, your ex-fiancee working at your place of business." 

"Like you..."

"Like favoritism!" She cut me off. She loved to interrupt me, but hated when I interrupted her. Ain't that something? "I pride myself out of getting places because of my talent and nothing else. I'd hate to have my reputation ruined for people thinking I'm sleeping with you for a good career." I shook my head. "No one would think that. And I'm not getting you a job at Inside Edition or anything, you would come in and be my Public Relations Specialist. It requires you to have graduated college and have a way of words." I walked over and sat down, watching her bite her lip. "I'd have to think on it, Chris." She walked over and sat directly in front of me. 

"You're eating a bowl of mac and cheese for dinner, Luna. Now I'm not judging or assuming anything, but..." I pointed to her bowl. "You're eating a bowl of mac and cheese." She couldn't help but giggle. I silently prided myself on making her smile already. "Okay, fine. But just promise me this is temporary. You're supposed to be helping me out of my funk, not distracting me. I still wanna be a journalist." 

"And you will. I believe in you." She dropped her head and silently ate her food. "Thanks."

     "So, I don't mean to pry or sadden you, but what happened to Mr. Mike? Kendall told me he passed away?" I watched her face darken. She then nodded. "He committed suicide. He was depressed and he didn't know what else to do, He said he didn't want to watch Mom die." I sighed, feeling as if I shouldn't have brought it up, but she needed to talk about it. "I came home and I didn't hear him playing any old school jams per usual. The house was cold, I thought he wasn't home but I saw Fluffy there and I knew he would never leave the house without Fluffy."

"Who's Fluffy?" 

"His Pomeranian."

"Okay, continue, baby girl."

    "I walked in the room and there he was, hanging from the ceiling. Where he got the rope, I have no freaking idea, but yeah." My body froze and I didn't know what to do. How could you expect someone to be normal when they saw something like that? This girl had been through hell lately and I hated myself for not helping sooner. I should've been reached out to her. "Wow, um, I don't really know what to say... There's nothing I can say, Luna. I'm just so sorry you're going through all this, I can only imagine." She stood up and came over to my side of the table. I stood up too and pulled her in for a hug. She sobbed against my chest as I rubbed the small of her back. She was ruining my only good white T-shirt, but it was okay. She was hurting, and I just wanted to help.