33: The Aftermath

Christopher Brown

My mom beat on my bedroom door for the second time in a row. What part of 'I want to be alone', did she not understand?

"I just want to know if you're okay, baby. You gotta eat something." She spoke through the door. I turned over in the air bnb's bed, and sighed. 

I don't want to eat.

I don't want to talk.

I just want to be alone, is that so hard to believe?

Before I knew it, my mom and Ms. Lisa were twisting the door knob and walking in. Just great. This is what I get for inviting both of my and Luna's families down here, before making sure things were still good between us.

"Chris. What's going on? Talk to me. I'm not asking again." I looked at my mother and tried to smile, but it's like ever since last night, the bones in my mouth had broken, causing me to permanently frown.

"I'm not a kid anymore, Ma. I just need some space." She folded her arms across her chest. "I know, you already said that. But you drug your five year old daughter across the country, just to leave her stuck in the living room alone?"

I sat up and wiped the crust out of my eyes. "You look horrible." Ms. Lisa said, honestly. "Gee, thanks." I huffed and tried to stand up, but I felt weak.

I felt like such a dummy to be honest. This girl played me like a guitar string and I'm the one who's going through it? She was out living her best life and now I need to live mine.

If only I knew where to start though.

I looked up at Ms. Lisa and sighed. She was the spitting image of her daughter, so it didn't make this situation any easier, but it wasn't her fault her daughter was a whore so I wasn't mad.

"So anyways, where's Luna? I thought ya'll would be out celebrating your new engagement." I could tell she was trying to cheer me up, but if only she knew what'd really transpired. I stood up and pulled a shirt on over my head. 

This was Luna's mess to clean up, not mine, so it was going to be on her to tell everyone how she ruined us, not me. "You should talk to your daughter, excuse me." I said, walking out of the room.

Luna Livingston

I sat on the toilet in the bathroom and stared at Kate, Kendall, and Honey. They were all being as nice as possible, but the sweetest person couldn't fix the hole that'd been carved in my heart. I'd never seen Chris that angry or hurt. He'd never laid a finger on me, and we always swore that even if we didn't work out as a couple, we would still be polite to one another.

But I guess that's all out the window. He hadn't text or called, and although I'd had a million and one calls from my mother, I just wasn't in the mood to fake happy right now.

This was only something Chris and I could fix. 

"I'm gonna try calling him again." I sniffled. 

"Girl, no!" Honey came towards me and snatched my phone. "You've been sick on the stomach since last night, you need to go to the doctor while you up here worrying about Chris. Chris is gone."

"Don't say that!" I spat at her. "Just don't! This is just a rough patch." Kendall shook his head. "I hate to see you like this, cuz, I really do, and I know it's only been a day, but you need to get up. Accept what happened so you can heal."

"No!" I found myself crying for the umpteenth time this morning. It's like my eyes couldn't stay dry to save my life. "I can't accept it. He has to come back, he always comes back."