06: A Surprise Donation

Luna Livingston

      I locked my car doors and tucked the keys into my cross-body bag. Chris had already walked in because I didn't want anyone seeing us together and getting any ideas, so I stayed out here a little while longer, contemplating things. I pulled my phone out and called my mother. She answered on the second ring.

"Hello, Darling. How's your first day going?"

I sighed. "I haven't went inside yet, I have jitters. I just feel like I'm straying away from what's important to me. I haven't written anything good in so long nor have I updated my portfolio. I just don't know, Mom."

"Well, why are you there?" She asked, calmly. "There must be a reason." The other day when I told her Chris had offered me a job at his studio, she insisted it was because he wanted to rekindle things, but I disagree. I think he just wants to be there for me during my time of sorrow and I appreciate that.

"For you and me." I said, honestly. "I have bills and so do you. I just wanna help."

I heard her chuckle, then cough loudly. "Luna, by helping everyone, you help no one. Remember that and have a great first day." I nodded as if she could see me. I was still going to try to help, but I didn't want her to know I wasn't going to be taking her advice.  "I love you, Ma, thanks."

"I love you more. Talk to you later." I disconnected the call and tucked my phone into my boot, mentally preparing for the day. 

    I walked into the big building and stopped at the desk upfront. A Latina woman with straight black hair and little pink glasses looked up and greeted me. She was just his type..

"Hi! Welcome to CBE! I'm Kelly, you must be Luna Livingston?" I nodded. "Yes. Nice to meet you, I'm here for the.." 

"Public Relations Specialist job, I know, Chris told us. Right this way." She came from around the circular desk and led me down the hall. I noticed all of Chris' as well as other artists plaques and accomplishments on the wall as we passed by them. She stopped and turned to me once she reached the room at the end of the hall. "Chris and everyone else is in here." She said. "Do you need anything before entering? A water? Coffee? Aspirin?" She giggled. I shook my head as she opened the door.

Chris sat at this big white desk, filled with graffiti much like he'd done on the house and my tablet. The walls were still white and he some pictures hung up. Two of him and Royalty, and one of him and his mother. I remember when he first opened this place and he also had my picture on the wall, but I don't blame him for taking it down. I'd taken his picture off my desk at Penguin Publishing as well.

He was surrounded by 2 women and 1 guy. They all locked their eyes on me when I entered. "Everyone, this is Luna Livingston, she'll be the new Public Relations Specialist here due to Teddy's untimely leave." He pointed at me. "Luna, this is Paris, my manager, Barry, my assistant, and Ella, my publicist. You and her will work together the most, basically writing and publishing stories about myself and the other artists. Sometimes you'll come along with some of us on volunteer work or even concerts writing your good input on the situation. Does that seem okay with you?" He asked. He looked so professional, unlike his usual goofy self. 

  I nodded my head and smiled. "I'm ready." He cleared his throat and stood up. "Okay, did Kelly give you an ID badge already? And show you around?" "No." I replied. 

"Rule number one, no snitching." Paris scoffed. Chris rolled his eyes. "I believe I'll be making the rules, right, Paris?" She forced a smile on her face and straightened out her shirt. "You're right, I'm sorry, Luna." Her apology sounded so insincere, but since I could care less about her opinion, I just nodded once again. "Okay." I spoke softly. "Well, since it's your first day, I'll show you around. Come on, you too, Ella." Ella grabbed some folders and files and followed us down the hall.