30: First Day

Luna Livingston

"Okay, Mom, I love you. Thanks again." I ended the facetime call and put my phone in my purse. I was in the rental car trying to meditate before I went in for my first day.

It was way in Manhattan, so it took me about a good hour and a half to get here, adding on the fact that traffic was a motherfucker. I stepped out the car and straightened out my outfit. It was a plain striped sweater which was black, white, and green with black slacks which were tighter than I'd remembered. I wore black gauchos sandals and my hair was in a neat bun in the back of my head.

I walked in and stopped at the front desk. A old white woman looked over her glasses at me. "Yes? Can I help you? There are no tours today, sorry." 

"Oh, I'm here for work. Today is my first day. My name is Luna Livingston." I cleared my throat. She nodded her head and handed me a temporary badge from behind the desk. "Take this to the 52nd floor. It'll get you up there and once you're there, your supervisory, Joey, will help you get set up. The elevator is right there to your left."

I nodded and tried my best to ignore the fact that Joey was here. I walked to the elevator and bumped into two girls who seemed to be lost. "Ouch! I'm sorry!" I said, as the blonde one stepped on my toes. 

"Oh! Sorry! Are these the elevators that go to the 52nd floor?" The thicker one said. I nodded my head yes. "Yeah, are ya'll new?"

"Yes. I'm Trixie. This is my friend, Honey." I smiled at the name. "Honey Rivera?" 

Her eyes widened. "Oh my God, everyone here already thinks I'm a nutcase."

"No!" I held my hand up. "I'm a friend of Kendall's. He speaks highly of you." I saw her cheeks flourish a bright pink. "Really? I-I-.. I'm no one to be speaking highly of." I waved her off. "Girl, please. You're beautiful!"

Trixie smiled as well. "I told you he was into you girl, you just gotta ease up on yourself. Are you new too?"  She turned toward me. 

"Yes. I'm Luna by the way."

"Well, Luna by the way, we should get up there before were late on our first day." The three of us made small talk as we walked to the elevator and got on it. It was one of those elevators that let you see the outside the whole way up, and my small fear of heights grew the more flights we went up.

"52 floors sure is steep, huh?" Trixie claimed. I didn't even notice I was gripping my purse strap for dear life. I nodded slowly. "Yeah, I didn't even notice." I managed to get out.

Once we made it to the floor, I forced myself to look at no windows, just to be on the safe side. "We better find this Joey." Honey said. "You coming with us, Luna? We could be like the three amigos." She giggled.

I smiled. "Okay, sure." I followed Trixie and Honey down the hall, until I realized none of us knew where we were. The 52nd floor seemed to be the busiest floor of them all, and people were everywhere. It looked just how you'd expect one of the world's biggest newspaper editor to look like, without various papers flying around of course.

There was a desk in the middle of the hall, but it was kind of hard to see due to everyone who looked like they were in a hurry. "You think that's him?" Trixie asked, pointing to a white guy with red hair and an even redder tie. I shook my head. "No, that's not him."

They both eyed me. "Well, how would you know?"

I closed my eyes and hoped I wasn't blushing. "I just know that's not him. I saw a picture of him online." They nodded and appeared to let the subject go. I checked my watch that read 8:49. We had about 11 minutes before we were all officially late.