11: Snooping Around (Part One)

Luna Livingston (in MM)

"This is cute!" Kate screeched into my ear. Her and I had came to the mall to look for some swimsuits to wear on our Baecation with Mijo and Chris. I had arranged rides for Mom to get to her one chemo appointment while I was gone, and I had already finished spinning the story on Della and Chris and sold it to TMZ so I was good. Kendall agreed to take my shifts at the daycare as well.

It'd been about 2 months since I'd last seen Chris and I couldn't wait to wrap him up in my arms and kiss him. I'd missed my baby so much!

"I like this one." I said, rubbing the fabric on a floral printed kimono style cover up. "I may get it. I've been saving up for this trip."

"Your boyfriend is Chris Brown and you're still saving up?" Kate scrunched up her nose. "Yes, Ms. Goldidgger. I want Chris, but I don't need him. I can handle things on my own." The more I talked to my mom, the more confident I was in myself. Yes, Chris made me confident too, but I was trying to be more self-oriented this time around so things work out for real. 

"Nothing wrong with that." She looked up as her phone began to ring. "It's Kendall, hold on." I watched as she began to pace. "Luna, we gotta get to Tumbling Tots fast. Kendall said it's an emergency and he's panicking." I nodded and paid for the kimono, then left the mall.

"What did he say was going on?" I asked once we were riding down the road. "Something about one of the kids talking about their mom being on drugs. He said he's thinking about staging an intervention." She laughed. I silently questioned whether it was the woman in the dark hoodie with Royalty but silently prayed it wasn't. Chris didn't need the extra stress. 

We arrived to the daycare in about 15 minutes and found a parking space. We entered the building just to see Royalty and Kendall standing at the door.

Shit. It had to be her, huh?

   "Hey, honey. What's going on?" I asked her, softly touching her shoulder. "Are you okay?" She shivered. "Am I in trouble? I'm sorry." I shook my head and watched as Kendall and Kate watched. "She said something about her mom. Tell Ms. Luna what's going on." He reassured her. She looked at me and I could tell she'd been crying. "My mommy... she does... some stuff."

Royalty fidgeted with her fingers. "Bad stuff."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why do you think she does bad stuff?" "Because it makes her mean to me." I sighed and called Kendall over. A part of me wanted to call Chris, but I know he'd immediately want to keep Nia from Royalty and that wasn't a good idea. Obviously she was going through something.

Maybe I could help? I sent Royalty back into the Butterfly Room and pulled out my phone.

      An hour later, the woman with the dark shades and black coat came into Tumbling Tots. As I examined her, I realized she didn't resemble the Nia I'd remembered years ago either. She was much skinnier, and her hair was thinner and shorter. She had more of a tan, and honestly she looked sick. "Is Royalty okay?" She asked softly. Her eyes met ours and she instantly sighed.

We'd sent Royalty back in the arts and crafts room to talk to Nia alone, and also offer her some help. Whether or not she was going to take it, I had no clue. "I recognize you." She said. "Luna, right? Chris' girl?" I looked back at her and nodded. "Yeah."

"I don't want him to know. He'll think the wrong thing." Kendall rolled his eyes. "The mother of his kid is on drugs. He deserves to know." Nia shook her head. "No." She spoke coldly and softly. "It's a long story. And I shouldn't trust ya'll." She eyed me. "I know you're waiting to tell Chris." I shook my head. "I'm really not. We called you as the stand-in managers here. It's our responsibility that the kids are safe and okay. She said some really disturbing things to Kendall."