14: All About The Money

Luna Livingston (2 weeks later)

"I'm not sure why you thought this was a good idea." I snapped at Chris as we stood in front of my apartment. Him and the police felt that if I came back here, I would remember who shot me, but they were fatally mistaken. 

Because I already remembered.

It was that bald headed bitch, Ella. 

Everyday for the past two weeks, I've been remembering bits and pieces about that day and to tell you the truth, none of it is adding up. For instance, why is Nia running from a former drug supplier and why is that affecting myself, Chris, Kendall, and Kate? How did I never know or notice that she lived below my apartment? I know that they didn't want me to break the story about their little drug ring, but they don't have to worry about me.

Fuck that story and fuck them. Ella, Nia, Mrs. Winston, all of them. I just wanted to get back to my life but that was beginning to seem impossible. Mama was doing her chemo on the regular and Chris had been selling out shows left and right, but where did that leave me?

Back at square one. Filling in at Tumbling Tots and CBE when needed. A part of me wanted to finish this story and sell it anonymously, but I'm sure they would catch on and leave me dead for sure. So again, fuck it.

"Baby, you gotta remember something. Someone out there is an attempted murderer and they're on the loose."

"She's fine. I'm sure she just wanted to scare me."

"She?" Fuck.

I shook my head. "Figure of speech, babe." I sat on the hood of his car and looked at the apartment complex, ignoring his stares. "You know, don't you, Luna?"

I avoided his eye contact. "No. I'm just uncomfortable. Being here. Can we go?" He walked in front of me and cupped my chin, forcing me to look at him. "Who was it, Luna?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. He could see right through me and it was a blessing and a curse. I shook my head. "No. You're gonna act irrationally and then Ro won't have a mom or a dad. I can't, Chris."

"So, Nia is involved. She swore to me she wasn't! What's going on?" He looked so confused. I wanted to sit on his face and cry all at the same time. Now wasn't the time though. 

"I...I..Um.." 

"Spit it the fuck out! Talk!" He yelled. When he yelled, these veins in his neck popped out and I was honestly beginning to get wet. I loved when he yelled at me and told me what to do. 

"Luna!" Chris snapped me out of my explicit thoughts and I met his glossy gaze. "I don't know the full story. I just know Kate, Nia, and myself came here to look around Ella's apartment, but somehow Ella ended up at my apartment door after I swore I locked it. And she had my portfolio, and she kinda, erm, shot me."

His eyes widened. "Kinda? Or she did? Is the memory vague or something?" I shrugged. "No, I'm sure she did. For some reason, they just didn't want me to write the piece on them, but now they don't have to worry about it. I'm done. With all of them. Nia included. I don't trust her cause how she know all this? And why was Ro so adamant about her and drugs?" I stopped myself from rambling.

Chris ran a hand through his curls. "I can't say I understand either but we gotta do something, babe. She shot you and almost took you from me, that's not okay. It never will be." 

"I can't go to the cops, Christopher. You know that."

"Who said anything about cops? And ruin the chance of getting that story out there? You're writing that piece and then you're gonna sell it. Then.." I raised my hand to him. "I don't know, babe."