40: Go Crazy

Luna Livingston (THREE MONTHS LATER)

I wouldn't call it crazy, just considerate. 

Is it not considerate to sit outside of your ex boyfriend's house at 3 am because you think his girlfriend is trying to poison him? 

       I looked up from my phone to see if anything else had changed, but Evie still sat in the bathroom window staring out of it eerily. I kept wondering if Chris thought it was weird that she had the lights on at 3 am, but I never saw him in the window. 

Feeling a little paranoid, I put my car in drive and rolled around the block to get a glimpse of the other windows in his house. It appeared that the whole house was dark. 

Swallowing my pride, I dialed up his number.

Before you call me crazy, just hear me out.. I would never do anything else like this, unless Chris' life was in danger, and it was. Now more than ever.

"You okay?" I asked him as I wiped the jelly off of my stomach. Chris snapped back from in his daze and smiled at me. "Don't worry about me." He rubbed my stomach playfully. "Big girl."

"I'm serious. You look more nauseous than I do, and that's saying something." 

He shrugged as he helped me off the examination table. "If I tell you something, you have to promise to listen as a friend, and nothing else." He eyed me up and down before continuing on. I shoved him. "I told you, we're good."

"I found this, this morning.. in Ro's lunchbox." I looked in his fist and saw a pill. One of the ones I remember him taking. I looked up at him. 

"Look.. as a friend.. I gotta tell you, the side effects of these things can make you forget things. I really thought you'd try to get better for your daughter at least." I swallowed the lump in my throat as I realized that maybe us not being together wasn't such a bad thing after all. 

He shook his head. "I've been clean since a little before we broke up, Luna. I think at least." I gave him a look and he sighed. "Seriously! It's not mine." I shrugged, a little confused.

"So who's is it, Chris?"

He huffed silently. "Evie." I smirked. "What?" The petty part of me asked. 

"All jokes aside, I think she's trying to hurt Ro." He said as we walked out of the room and down the hall. "I feel it, the way she only wants to be around me when I have Ro, the way I catch her looking at her when she thinks I'm not paying attention." He rubbed the back of his head. "Just among other things, I think she's trying to hurt her, or me. Am I paranoid?"

Taken back, I stopped walking and looked up at him. "That's... alot." I said honestly. "I.. I wish I knew what to say." He gave me an apologetic smile.

I touched the side of his face. "But I have a plan." He shook his head. "Um, no. That's putting the kids in danger, Luna. No." I waved him off as we walked outside of the building. "Just meet me at my mom's around midnight."

*

Like clockwork, Chris' Porsche zoomed in the yard at exactly midnight. Mom lived deep in the country part of  Bakersfield, so there weren't many cars out at this time of night, more so why I invited Chris over. 

He stepped out of his car and smiled at me. "I feel like a kid again, sneaking over a girls house in the middle of the night." I chuckled and rolled my eyes. "I'm gonna go say hey to Ms. Lisa and then I'll come back out here so we can talk." 

"Mom's not home tonight." He furrowed his eyesbrows at me. "Oh?!"

"Chris, don't be childish." He giggled like a little kid. "Is she really not home?"