28: No Place Like (a temporary) Home (part one)

Luna Livingston

I'd gotten here about 4 hours ago and I still hadn't moved from the comfortable carpet in the master bedroom. Hoody and Chris still hadn't got here with my furniture, and Kendall and Kate still hadn't shown up yet. 

However, that was okay with me because the view was so peaceful.

I began to think how I wanted to decorate it and what all I wanted to buy for this place, when I realiz and ed that I wasn't going to be here long term

I finally found the courage to stand up on my two legs and walk to the window. Chris had really surprised me with how beautiful this place was. While he's always had style, homes weren't really his thing. He must've had help because if he picked this place out by himself he would've found a place that had art all over the walls.

New York was foreign to me and I didn't even know where I was, but I felt so much better. I still missed Chris, Ro, and my mom, but honestly I felt better. 

I pulled my hair into a high bun on the top of my head and decided to do some quick cardio while I was alone. As soon as I got on the floor, I heard a knock on the front door.

I trotted down the stairs and across the living room to the front door. "Yes?" I called out, which just led to another knock. I pulled it back and gasped. 

"Joey?"

"Luna?" He asked. His hair was cut now and his scent came through the doorway. It distracted me from the bouqet of daisies he held up.

"How-how did you--"

"My job sent me to deliver these to our newest member which is you I'm guessing?" He licked his lips.

"Your job?" I was still sort of in shock.

"The Times. The New York Times."

"You work there?"

"Do you?" He laughed. I saw him clench the flowers tighter. "I'm the supervisor for the trainees. Basically you and three other people from all over the country are working here for 3 weeks to see if your performance is up to par to move back and work from home."

I couldn't find the words to say. "Um, okay."

"So judging your performance is up to me.'

"Um, okay." I repeated, not very sure of myself this time. 

"I brought these for you. W-well, not for you, but for the trainee who turned out to be you. I have to bring one to all of you." He tried to lighten the mood by laughing but it was still awkward.

This guy almost ruined my relationship way back in California, and now he was in New York too? Also, what are the odds that he works at my job too, and that he's my supervisor? Standing here in the doorway had me on edge and nervous as hell so I did what any sane woman would do.

"Thanks but no thanks. I'm so incredibly busy. I'll see you at work tomorrow." I closed the door in his face without accepting his flowers, silently cursing myself for officially making things awkward between the two of us.

I walked back up the steps and went back into the bedroom to fall back asleep on the fresh carpet. 

Do I have to tell Chris?

Christopher Brown

"I'm telling you, bro. Something has happened. I feel it." I muttered to Hoody as we passed through another state. We'd passed through so many I didn't even know where we were anymore, all that I knew was that we had about six more states left and three more stops since Ro wanted the biggest slushie we'd ever seen at the last gas station.

We got all her big belongings transported there by the jet and we decided to drive everything else that didn't fit. 

About an hour ago, I got that gut feeling.

You know, the one that's never wrong, but tells you something is wrong? 

Well, I got it. I don't know if it means I need to tell Hoody to drive the speed limit, tell Ro she can't have anything else to drink, or go pop Luna in the mouth.

"Maybe it's just the fact that you haven't been on a road trip in a long time." He replied. "You used to flying and shit. All this driving got you uncomfortable." I nodded. "Yeah, bro. You probably right."

I pulled out my iPhone and scrolled through Instagram. I didn't follow anyone but Luna and Royalty, so I had to go to the explore page and refresh, which gave me things it thought I wanted to see.

Most of the time it was just different art pieces, but today it wasn't. "The fuck?" I sat up in my seat and made sure Ro was still asleep in her booster seat.

"Aye bro." I tapped Hoody's fat arm which was in a black muscle shirt. The nerve of this nigga.

He peeked over at me. "Wassup?"

"Ain't this the nigga that was at Waffle House with Luna?"

He waited until traffic got backed up, and then took the phone. He didn't even look at the picture for a good ten seconds. "Hell yeah. That's his ass."

I blew so much air out my nose and slouched down. This would've been a perfect time for a pill or six, but I promised Luna I would stop and I always keep my promises. I just don't know if she does.

"It could just be a coincidence." He said. "New York is a big ass state. He could just be visiting." I just shook my head. I felt myself getting upset so I tried to calm down. "It says he just got a new job."

"So?"

"At the New York Times."

"So?"

"As the supervisor over the fucking trainees! This nigga her boss!" I exclaimed. I quickly calmed down when I noticed Ro shift in her seat.

Hoody's eyes grew wide. "Oh, damn. That's crazy, B. You think she knew about it?" I shrugged my shoulders. She would never lie to me. But then again I don't know.

"I don't think so. Why would she lie unless... unless she knew I wasn't gonna be okay with her going if he was there?" I sighed and sat back in my seat at the small town we passed through. I don't know what it was about this cornball ass guy. I was Luna's first, I was her first love, first dick, first pregnancy, first everything. I thought that was enough and all I needed to feel secure with her but it wasn't.

If it was any other woman I guarantee I wouldn't have given a fuck. But it wasn't. Although I was her first, he was her second. Which meant he knew her just like I did. If I knew she was a prize and I was foolish for letting her go, why wouldn't he? Why would I expect him to fall back? 

I fired Evie as soon as I saw Luna was uncomfortable, but yet..

I shook the thought out of mind and sat back listening to my own voice on the radio. 

short chapter I know, but i'm trying to be more consistent since I was gone for so long without an explanation or update.