23: Moments

Christopher M. Brown

   I continued to do my stretches in the corner by myself. Usually the dance crew and myself do little exercises together but today, I just felt like being alone. Not that it would matter anyway, no matter who I was around, I would always feel alone now, since Luna made it clear she wanted to move and I, like a dumbass, said I supported her.

Don't get me wrong, of course I support my baby, but I want to support her from here. Where I am. 

And I want her to be where I am too.

I looked around at the rest of the dancers and my new publicist, Evie, due to Luna quitting. She was unbelievably qualified for the job, but something about her seemed off. I just couldn't put my finger on it. 

But then again, my judgement has been off since the whole thing with Nia so I don't know. She waved at me and I nodded my head. When she began to walk over to me, I saw Della smirk among herself and the others. I rolled my eyes and averted my attention back to Evie. 

"Hey." She said, putting her hands in her pockets and smiling. "I've been doing some thinking and I have an idea that could really make your image pop." 

"Okay.. what?" I actually wanted to hear it. The media is always looking for ways to find a negative in something positive that I do. Always.

"Currently in Florida, what's getting their shows lit is bringing out a lit guest star. I was wondering if you had any ideas before I pitched some of my own." I shrugged my shoulders. 

"Maybe I could text and ask Trey Songz? I know he's in town and maybe.."

"Yeah. No. I said 'lit' not pity panty party. We want the people turned up not down!" She giggled and I had to ignore more of the dancers who were averting their attention to us in the corner. Although I'm their boss, they view me as a friend only. I should probably fix that one day. 

I chuckled back slightly and rested my hands on the back of neck. "Okay, who do you suggest since you have all the answers?" She gave me a grin. 

"Well, I know Gunna's cousin and he kind of owes her a favor so maybe we could reach out to him and see if ya'll could perform Heat together or something." She did the little Kappa Stroll I did in the video slightly and I smiled.

She was kind of cute.

But not cuter than Luna so let me stop. 

"Well unless you're his cousin, I don't know how were going to book him. I heard his schedule is hectic as hell." She cheesed at me and my eyes bulged. "You're his cousin? Why am I just now hearing this?"

She sighed. "I didn't want people only hiring me because of my family. I want to be recognized for my talent only." I nodded my head silently. Maybe this is why Luna was trying so hard to get away, because she didn't want to only be known as my girl.

And I was selfish as hell to think she would be okay with that.

I finished up talking to Evie and continued on with the dance rehearsal. Everyone was really excited to go to Florida and they even made little jokes about how I work them to death and they need this break. As if I work them at all.

Afterwards, I was crouched in the corner stuffing my towel that I used to dry my sweat into my Nike duffel bag when I heard little clicks of heels. I knew it was Evie because everyone else had on sneakers. "Hey." I said, zipping up the bag and standing up.

"I just came over to say bye and that my cousin says he'll meet us in Miami for a rehearsal." I nodded. "That's what up, I really appreciate that." She reached out her arms for a hug. "No, thank you for hiring me and seeing my potential, I appreciate the offer."