26: Saving Grace

Christopher M. Brown

"Hey, baby." I repeated when she didn't answer me.

How much had she heard? Was she mad? Was she shocked? Had she not heard anything, and was just appalled at the fact that Evie was in here?

She turned her expressionless face into a snarl and cocked her fist back, making Evie and I jump back in fear.

Then, she surprised me. 

"Not worth it." She whispered, turning to walk away. I heard her voice crack almost and I cursed to myself. "Please go Evie, I.. please." I shoved her out the door softly and then ran out the building after Luna, completely disregarding the fact that paparazzi and crazed fans were at every corner. 

"Chris! Chris! Is there trouble in paradise?" Of them yelled out at me. I flipped them my middle finger and went down another hallway which was secluded for just my team. "Luna? Baby!" I called out.

My heart was literally beating out of my chest. She couldn't leave me now, we'd done so well, this trip had been so therapeutic for us.

"Here!" I looked down and saw her sitting in the corner, with her knees pulled into her chest. I ran down and sat beside her. 

She then looked at me and slapped me. Dead on the cheek. "That's for not stopping her."

When I didn't respond, she continued. "I knew she was in love with you, Hell, I'm in love with you, so of course I can tell when another woman is, but damn." I reached up to stop the stinging on my face. She was right, I should've stopped her. 

"The reason I'm not mad at you though is because she was right. I didn't deserve you back in my life, but yet, here you are. I've apologized so many times for leaving and I will continue to, but I have to admit, it hurts that you still haven't forgiven me." She sniffled slightly.

"I have forgiven you, baby." I said, rubbing the small of her back. "I forgave you long ago, as I hoped you forgave me for hurting you. It's just hearing about our son, it always make me wonder, ya know? Like how would things have been?"

She chewed the inside of her jaw and nodded. "I wonder about him too. If he was gonna look like you or me." She tried to chuckle, but tears began to fall and stained her cheeks. "A woman is supposed to be able to have kids, what if I can't?" I wanted to cry as well, but I wanted to be strong for her.

Maybe that's why I froze when Evie was talking because I was never asked how I felt.

As if she could read my mind, she reached out and grabbed my hand, lacing her fingers with mine. "How do you feel? About the baby, about me, about everything."

I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck. "I'm okay, I guess. Yeah, it would've been cool to have a mini me, but if everything hadn't happened exactly how it did, our lives wouldn't be how it is now, I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I'm just waking up each day trying, babygirl." I began to rub on her hand with my thumb. "But we can always try again."

She shrugged. "I don't know, Chris. What if I can't?"

"Why put negativity in the air, Luna?" I snapped. "If not, okay.. but we will find other ways." I put a finger on her chin and made her look at me. "You're going to be the mother of my child. You and only you."

"What about Nia?"

"Who?" I asked, causing us both to laugh. 

"All jokes aside, fire that bitch, Chris." She stated, once our laughter died down. "She seems like she can't keep her personal life and work life separate." I shrugged my shoulders. "Maybe some fire under your ass will.."