13.

Calum

"You're gonna wear a hole in the carpet, mate." Ashton calls gesturing towards me with his hand in a way that tells me he wishes I'd calm the fuck down.

I can't help it. I'm always full of nervous excitement before a show, but this time is different. This time my daughter and the love of my life will be watching and I have never been so anxious in my entire existence. On top of Jes and PK, my mom and Mali are in town. I haven't seen them since before Jes and I's breakup but they'd heard about it over the phone all the times I'd called them distraught over the whole thing. They were both thrilled when i got to call and tell them Jes and I were back together and the wedding was back on. I'd left the details fuzzy, figuring Jes would share when she was ready

The Mark thing still made me furious but I had to shove my thoughts of rage to a different part of my mind. My girls were going to come backstage any moment now and I was literally buzzing with anticipation.

"Calum, seriously chill." Luke says with a laugh as he glances in my direction.

"What if she doesn't think we're any good?"

"Calum, it's not like she's never listened to us. She loves all our songs. Especially the ones you wrote." Micheal says with an eye roll.

"Yeah but that's a recording, this is live, this is us. It's not the same."

"You're completely overthinking this and annoying the shit out of me. You've got to stop." Ash comments and I shoot him a 'go to hell' look.

I do take a seat on the couch though. Nervously sipping my water and waiting as time seems to drag on. The door to the dressing room flies open and I spring to my feet expecting to see Jes and P but instead it's KayKay coming to wish Ashton good luck. I smile politely and try not to let my disappointment show clearly on my face. Where are they?

Others come and go from the dressing room until I finally give up on it being my girls. Maybe something had happened with P to make them late? Surely Jes wouldn't miss tonight? She had seemed so excited and she knew how important this was to me. I rest my chin on my hand propped on my knee and try not to look miserable as everyone else's excitement builds for the show tonight.

When I can't take it anymore I slide my phone from my pocket and check for messages. I've got one from Mali telling me she and my mum have made it to the venue and are about to find somewhere to watch.

Have you seen my girls?

I shoot back quickly, staring at the message once it's sent and willing her to reply quickly.

No, but I'm sure they're here somewhere. The venue is packed. So proud of you baby brother.

I send a quick reply to tell her thanks anyways and that I love her before angrily shoving my phone back into my pocket.

I rise to my feet to participate in last minute pre-stage warm ups but my heart is hurting. I'm disappointed. I'd really wanted to see my girls before I went onstage. I'm out of time though, so I grab my bass and move to the staging area to wait for my cue.

I fake a smile and run out on stage as we fly into Babylon. It's my favorite song to perform. We'd taken it off the set list for World War Joy since we were pressed for set time and last tour it'd hit a little too close to home with everything going on with Jes. It was a fan favorite though and I was excited to get to play it again. I try to do the song justice but it hurts when the people I wanted to perform for were nowhere to be found.

As we finish the first song and move into 'She's kinda hot' I catch Luke's eye. He raises his eyebrows towards the crowd behind me and I just nod not really understanding what he's trying to tell me. As I start my verse of the song I notice him pointing towards the balcony area. I follow his finger and find my favorite girls dancing along. My eyes meet Jes' and I feel myself come to life knowing she's in the crowd. Next to her Mali and my mom both watch on with Paisley in my sister's arms. She looks adorable in her costume with her little ear protectors on. Her head is on a constant swivel as she takes in all the lights and colors.

We finish the song and step towards the mics. I let Luke lead the conversation and Ash interject his snarky comments, only joining in when Luke mentions it's a special show for me.

"Ain't that right Cal?"

"Yeah, you could say that." I say, my gaze settling on Jes. "Not only are my mom and sister here." The crowd turns to where I am staring and search the balcony for the familiar faces. "But for the very first time my fiancée and daughter are at a 5sos show!" I smile and close my eyes as I absorb their screams. It's a high unlike any other that being on stage gives me. The feeling floods my veins and causes goosebumps to rise on my skin. I feel invincible. All of these emotions only heightened as I get to watch Jes and PK in the crowd. I can tell the difference in myself, I try a little harder to make everything perfect. To hit all the right notes, play all the right chords. To make tonight my best show ever, to make my girls proud of me.

We make it through the set before thanking everyone for coming out to support us, the other artists, and the charity we selected for tonight, an organization that helps women in abusive relationships. A charity I'd suggested as a small nod to everything Jes had endured. We rush off stage and relax for a few moments until our encore. When we take the stage I notice I no longer see my family in the balcony. I shrug it off knowing they've probably just headed backstage to meet me after the show.

We're halfway through our last song when the crowds shrieks become noticeably louder. I wonder what happened until I feel a tug on my leg. My muscle memory takes over as I look down to find a very Yoda-like Paisley has wandered out from the wings where her mother watches. Jes shoots me 'sorry' look and I just smile. The song ends and I throw my bass behind my back and grab Pais up lifting her high in the air and tossing her before bringing her to my chest and kissing her cheek. She slings her arms around my neck and giggles as she looks into the crowd.

"Wave hi!" I tell her and model for her. She repeats my actions and the girls in the crowd scream louder. I join the rest of the boys at center stage and take our final bow with P still on my hip before running offstage and into the arms of my love.

I cup her cheek with my hand and press my lips to hers.

"I'm so glad you made it babe, I was worried when you didn't show beforehand."

"Yeah, you can blame that on little miss drama queen right there." She says reaching out to pinch Paisley's cheek. "Someone didn't want to wear pants."

"Yeah well can you blame her?" I ask with a laugh to get a rise out of Jes. "I don't much like pants either."

Jes just rolls her eyes at me. "Well her daddy also picked out a costume that required mommy to pin this hat to her head and she wasn't a fan of that either."

"Yeah but look how cute we all look!" I say gesturing to our matching costumes.

"Yeah, yeah. Come on loser your mom and Mali are waiting."

I watch her walk away carrying P. My whole damn world is in front of me, I'm the luckiest son of a bitch. I can't believe I get to marry Jes in just 51 days.

Jgood, 5sos and 173,563 others like thiscalumhood Her mother regrets letting me choose the costumes

calumhood Her mother regrets letting me choose the costumes. I regret nothing. So happy to have all my favorite girls with me at FOF tonight!

An: I hope y'all appreciate all of this cute af content you're getting. Wonder if things will stay happy forever 🤷🏻‍♀️

Vote, comment, share!

Ily,
Sav 🖤