32.

9 weeks

Jes

"Make a wish and blow out your candles PK!" Calum beams to the little girl.

She giggles and does her best but it takes several attempts and some help from Cal before she finally manages to extinguish the two small flames.

I watch from my spot right next to him as our friends and family take pictures and join in the general joy of the occasion. Our precious baby girl is already two.

The cake is cut and Paisley, encouraged by her favorite uncles, smears most of her piece through her hair.

"Thanks for that boys. We'll make sure to return the favor with your little ones in the future." I say with a playful roll of my eyes as I remove her from her high chair and begin the process of cleaning her up. I'd expected nothing less from our friends so I'd come prepared with wipes and a fresh set of clothes.

I set to work wiping away the icing and cake before discarding her colorfully stained clothes.

"Are you having fun bubs?" I ask the miniature version of Calum staring back at me.

"Yes, Mommy! I see fish now?" She asks, looking up at me expectantly.

"Yeah, baby let's go find your friends." We'd invited not only Cal's band and our family, but all of the kid's from Paisley's baby music class and her play group.

Calum had gone a little overboard and rented out the entire building leaving plenty of room for all of our guests to enjoy the exhibits. Once I've gotten her ready we rejoin everyone in front of the massive main tank.

Paisley squirms in my arms and runs off to stand with her nose pressed against the glass in awe as she watches the thousands of fish float gracefully through the water.

"She's going to lose her mind when we get home." Cal says, a grin overtaking his face at the thought of our surprise.

It had been his idea of course. Cal always knowing exactly what would make the perfect present. He'd come to me with the design a few months ago and once I'd approved it he had set to work.

In the past week, a whole wall of Paisley's playroom as well as the desk had been converted into a giant custom fish tank. It had taken literally a miracle to keep her occupied and out of it while the construction took place but they had placed the fish in it this morning. Now we just had to take her home to see it. The anticipation was literally eating Cal alive he was so proud of it. His excitement was contagious and I found myself hoping people would head out early so we could go home.

"Hi guys!" Crystal says as Cal and I approach the group of his band mates and their significant others.

"Hey" I reply casually.

"You guys seem to be doing better." Luke remarks.

I nod and try to hide the way their words affect me. We may be trying to move forward but that doesn't mean we have completely healed and my heart still hurts when I think about our loss. Cal senses my unease and slips his hand behind me to the small of my back, his thumb rubbing small circles in a gesture of comfort.

"We're doing okay." I force out hoping to change the subject.

"Jes, when you were pregnant with Pais how long did your morning sickness last? I thought it was a first trimester thing but I'm 21 weeks now and still miserable."

"They say it's different for everyone. Mine lasted until I was like six months with her, so hopefully it'll get better for you soon. Have you tried ginger tea? Cal made it for me literally everyday, it helped more than anything else."