29.

Jes

I placed the completed tests on the counter and sank into the warm water of my bath. Whatever the test may say, I wasn't quite ready to face it in just a few moments, so instead I slipped into the tub desperate to relieve some of the tension from my aching muscles.

I didn't know how long it would take me to be able to face the results. Could I handle if they were not what I wanted? Cal and I had already been through this once and I felt like a failure when I had let him down. That was probably the reason I had waited for him to be at the studio, deep in a session before I took the tests. I had bought three just to be sure.

There were several positive signs that this would go the way I wanted it to. I was nearly two weeks late, I had spent the last few mornings sick to my stomach, and I just felt pregnant. I don't know how else to describe that, maybe it's mother's intuition.

I already decided that if I am pregnant I'm not telling anyone until twelve weeks, the end of the danger zone, and that included Calum. I couldn't imagine facing him if something happened to this baby too.

When the nagging feeling in my stomach refuses to subside I coax myself out of the water, wrapping myself in a fluffy white towel from the shelf. I'm careful to keep my eyes away from the tests, knowing that once I look I'll either be elated or completely and totally, devastated.

Cal

I try to distract myself from the fact that Jes has been acting weird. Not that anything has been normal since we lost the baby.

She's been tired and moody all week. I had chalked it up to PMS but with each passing day I began to grow more worried about her. This morning she'd gotten sick and claimed it was a stomach virus but I have a feeling it was something more. I hope she isn't letting her anxiety consume her. She has a tendency to worry herself literally sick and I hope that isn't the case now.

"Oh my god." Michael huffs as he takes a seat next to me in the lounge area of the studio space. "I don't know how I'm going to do this for the next six months."

"Do what?"

"Crystal cries at literally everything. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells in my own house. I made joke this morning and she reacted like I'd set an animal on fire."

"Mate shes growing a whole other person. Her hormones are out of control you have to have some patience with her."

"I'm terrible at that." He runs his hands down his face. "God, I'm such an asshole but I honestly don't know how to deal with her being so emotional."

"Sierra's been the same. I feel like I irritate her with my existence right now."

"I don't know, but you guys will figure it out and it won't last the whole time. I'd give anything to be dealing with Jes' pregnancy hormones right now."

"Shit! Sorry. I'm an asshole. Here we are complaining and you and Jes..." I just turn my stare towards the wall not wanting to dwell on what could have been.

"Yeah." I stand up then, leaving the couch and this conversation for the sanctuary of the recording booth.

For the next few hours I lose myself in the music. Burying myself inside the lyrics and chords until I can't feel anything except the beat. I know the sadness should have passed by now but I think because I had spent the first few weeks so worried about Jes I hadn't given my own self time to heal and I was paying for that now.

I wipe at my eyes, only slightly embarrassed that I still am not fully in charge of my emotions when I think about this particular subject. A glance at the wall clock reveals it is already after seven.

I should probably get home.

I rise from my seat and begin the process of gathering my things. By the time I finally say my goodbyes to the boys and head out to my car it's nearly eight.

I grab my phone from my back pocket and flip through the notifications. I notice several texts from Jes asking when I'll be home and if I'm eating at home or picking something up.

I shoot her a quick reply and head home to my girls.

"Where are my girls?" I call as I walk through the door.

"Hi daddy!" Paisley says running to meet me and wrapping her arms around my leg as soon as I make it inside. I reach down and grip her by her forearms, pulling her up to my chest and pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Hi bubs! Where's mumma?"

"In here!" Jes calls from the kitchen, the aroma of garlic wafting through the house. I walk through the living room in the direction of her voice and find her near the stove cooking what appears to be some kind of stir fry.

I set Paisley down on the ground and move behind Jes, snaking my arms around her waist.

"Hello, Mrs. Hood." I breathe into her ear as she turns her head slightly to greet me with a kiss.

"Well someone is in a good mood" she comments.

"Yeah, we had a pretty productive day in the studio, I'm feeling pretty good about the new album. It's different but I think the fans will like it."

"That's good babe. Give me like five more minutes and dinner will be ready. I already fed Paisley and gave her a bath. I figured you would want to see her for a few minutes and say goodnight though so I kept her up."

"Thanks for that. I had intended to be home earlier but just lost track of time."

She nods and continues to stir the vegetables in the pan. Her face suddenly loses color and she hands her wooden spoon to me before running off in the direction of the bathroom.

I bring my eyebrows together before turning off the stove top, moving the pan to a cool burner and following after her.

I find her on her knees in the bathroom, heaving into the toilet.

I kneel behind her taking her hair in my hand and holding it back for her as I rub circles on her back.

"Still got the stomach bug then?" I ask and she nods, not looking at me. "I'm sorry babe. I hoped it was just a twenty-four hour thing."

She doesn't respond just waiting for her nausea to pass before moving to sit on the floor beside me. I stroke her hair before standing and returning to the kitchen. I grab a glass from the cabinet and fill it with water before returning to my seat beside my wife on the bathroom floor.

"Here baby, drink this." She accepts the glass gratefully, wiping the small beads of sweat from her brow and downing the water. Her skin returning to it's normal color as a few moments pass.

"Sorry, babe. You ready to eat? I think I'm gonna skip dinner tonight."

AN: Thoughts?

Vote and Comment!

I Love You!

-Sav