50.

Jes

A groan escapes my lips as I grab my stomach. Cal pulls me closer to him in our bed where we're cuddled up. He gently runs his hands up and down my back trying to comfort me.

"Doing so great baby." He mumbles into my ear.

"I forgot how much this sucks."

"But you remember how much it'll all be worth it, right?" He says dipping his head so his eyes find mine.

I nod and rest my head against his chest in an effort to rest. It's nearly midnight now, I can hear the tv in the background the festivities in New York being replayed for us, though the new year on the East Coast began several hours ago.

"The ball is about to drop." He comments.

I just nod and turn so we can watch together. The countdown begins and I feel Calum's arms wrap around me as his head rests against the crook of my neck. The ball in Times Square finishes it's descent and Calum turn's me softly so he can press a kiss against my lips.

"I told you I wouldn't miss my New Year's kiss."

"I love you."

"I love you too, why don't we go ahead and go in?" he whispers and I prop myself up on my arm to signal my agreement. He lends me his hand and helps me pull myself up from the bed.

He's so calm and confident this time, his unworried behavior has me feeling more collected than I expected to be and is proving to be exactly what I need from him.

His grip rests gently on my elbow as he guides me down the stairs.

"Don't forget his bag." I remind him and he rushes up the stairs returning only a moment later.

"What would I do without you?"

"Probably die." I retort.

"You're not wrong, I don't know how I lived without you for so long before I met you. My life's definitely improved since you walked into my life."

"Pretty sure you're the one who walked into my life. I was just innocently enjoying that club's balcony until you crashed my alone time."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, you get the point. I love you."

"I love you more, babe. Help me to the car."

"Hi, Jes!" Dr. Mays calls entering the room we've been given followed closely by the nurse who had introduced herself as Wendy. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I have a ten pound kid trying to come out of me." I deadpan. I'm tired, irritated and in pain. I'm pretty much done with being pleasant.

"Well, yeah. That's understandable. Let's see how you're progressing."

She bends my legs to check me while I squeeze Calum's hand.

"You're six."

"Ugh, I thought second babies were supposed to come faster?"

"Not always, but you were in labor with Paisley what, almost nineteen hours?"

I nod throwing my forearm across my face, outdone with exhaustion and frustration.

"You're only eight hours in, still plenty of time."

I only groan in response another pain encasing my abdomen. I turn to my side to grip the side rail of the bed. Cal reaches over to brush the hair from my eyes and I lean into his touch. He's the absolute only person who can comfort me right now.