23.

TW: blood, hospital,etc.

Jes

The thing about the worst day of your life, is that no one wakes up thinking that it is going to be the worst day of their life.

Our day started off like almost any other. Paisley woke up as a little ball of energy and had worn out her daddy, running around the house while I had let my morning sickness pass. He fell into the seat of a bar stool at our kitchen counter and held her on his knee as he tried to regain his breath.

"I'm only 25 and she makes me feel like an old man." He laughs tickling her belly.

"Just wait 'til there's two of them." I reply and he rolls his head back but smiles.

"Speaking of the littlest little one, when do you want to talk to Pais about everything?" He questions as he places the little girl on the floor and she wanders off to her playroom.

"I don't know. I think it's still too far away to worry about it yet, but she definitely needs to be told early enough to give her time to adjust." I pause and then think about something else we will need to discuss. "Do you think we should move her room? To put the baby closest to us?"

"That seems like a lot of change to P's routine and the room across the hall is only a few steps farther. I feel like the less we change about Paisley's world the better. I'm not sure how she's going to handle having to share our time." I ponder his thoughts and then nod, agreeing with his assessment.

"I think once she gets used to the idea she'll be a great big sister." I add as I look off into her playroom to see her cuddling her baby doll. I gesture to Calum to show him and his face lights up in a grin.

"Yeah, she will." He trails off before changing subject. "So, uh, I know we didn't do much for Valentine's Day this year. I know it's a few days late but, what do you say we go out to dinner tonight? Luke and Sierra are trying and they've been begging me to let them watch Paisley so they can get some practice with kids."

"That sounds nice, I didn't know they were trying, did you tell them anything?" I ask, my eyebrows raised.

"Nah," he shakes his head "Figured it was too early still. Better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully they didn't notice my nervousness."

I hum in agreement and pull his hand, leading him towards the living room flopping down on the couch and then lifting my torso up so Cal can slide behind me.

"How long do we have?" I ask.

"I figure we can be lazy until like four, drop her off, come home and get ready and still have time to make an eight o'clock reservation."

"That's sounds good babe. We gonna finish the new season of Grey's?"

He nods against the top of my head and I lean against him, sinking into the show while letting him play with my hair with one hand as I hold his other and trace patterns against his skin.

"Luke! Si!" Calum calls as he bangs on the door.

"Jesus, Cal. They have a doorbell." I say rolling my eyes.

"I tried that. They didn't answer."

"Have some patience, give them a minute." No sooner are the words out of my mouth than Luke appears at the door.

"Sorry, we were all the way on the other side of the house." He says stepping aside so that we can enter. Paisley clings to my shirt and hides her face against my chest.

"Why are you being so shy P? It's just Luke and Sierra." She sheepishly peers up but still seems unsure as I hand her off to Luke.

"Ashy?" She asks looking to me, guessing that since she sees Luke maybe the whole band is here. I shake my head no and she frowns.