33.

9 weeks

Cal

"I knew she would love it." I say to Jes as I watch Paisley marvel at the new addition to her play room.

She hums her agreement and moves closer to me on the small playroom couch we're sitting on. Her head falls against my chest and I run my fingers through the wisps of her dark brown hair. Without thought my hand moves down the curves of her side. Following the shape of her body until it rests gently on her belly. There isn't any sign of the baby making it's home in there yet, but there will be soon and that thought alone is enough to put a smile on my face. A soft smile shows on Jes's face as well as she covers my hand with hers.

"What are you thinking about?" I question.

"Just, at the party earlier. I was talking to your mom." She stopped talking briefly and re-positioned herself so that she was facing me, her hand gripping my forearm as she held herself steady. "She said something about how the therapy was helping you deal with everything."

Oh.

I shut my eyes and took a deep  breath to give myself a moment to gather my words.

"I didn't know you were in therapy." She says, her voice coming out strained and weak.

"I'm sorry I kept that from you." I admit. "With everything going on it just seemed like a good idea."

"Why didn't you tell me? Maybe it was something we could have done together." Her voice isn't accusatory, simply curious and maybe a little hurt.

"I just needed to do this for me. I've seen a therapist before to help me deal with my emotions and the general stress of my life; so it was just natural for me to seek help. I don't want you to take this the wrong way Jes, but this was something I just needed to do on my own." I pause and meet her eyes hoping she knows I mean that in the most loving way.

"If you had been with me in those sessions I would have been worried you would see me differently. I don't want you to think less of me."

"I get that Cal. But I hope you know I would never think less of you because of therapy.  We're a team and I just wish I would have known so I could have done more to help you. That's all." She leans forward to capture my lips with hers.

"We were both just trying to stay afloat baby. We're both doing better now and we have this new baby coming and I'm so happy, Jes. You and our family make me so happy, I love you."

10 weeks

"Paisley, let's go!" I call from the doorway just as the toddler appears at the bottom of the stairs, her arms loaded with toys.

"No, bubs. You can't take all your toys. We're going to find out if Aunt Crystal and Uncle Mikey are having a boy or girl baby."

She pokes her lip out and I sigh. She's too young to be this damn good at playing me.

"Fine you can bring one, Paisley. Just one."

She smiles and grabs the teddy bear I'd brought her back from my most recent tour. She clutches it against her as I pick her up and kiss her forehead before carrying her out to the car.

"I see the whole no toy thing went well." Jes says with a smirk.

"Shut up."

I get Paisley situated before taking my own seat in the car and pulling off towards the Clifford's. I reach across the console and take Jes' hand.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just thinking."

"Anything you want to share?"