30.

Jes

"Lenny?" I call through the house as I step through the door.

"I'm in the back!" I follow the sound of her voice to the sun room. Boxes still line the walls of the hall since Lena had just moved a few weeks ago. She's sitting on the couch, bathing in the spring sunlight and working to unpack a cardboard box.

"God, I feel like I haven't seen you in ages." I say looping my arms around her neck, taking a seat next to her.

"You're so dramatic. It's only been three days." She replies with a roll of her eyes.

"I know but I miss you. I have so much to talk to you about."

"Yeah, yeah. You always have been a stage five clinger friend. I'm having some mimosa, the pitcher is in the fridge if you want some."

"You love me." I say, defensively. "And I'm good." I add trying to refuse nonchalantly though I know, that Lena knows, I never turn down Mimosa.

"I do. Now, where is my Pais." She says after giving me a hard stare but keeping her comments to herself.

"Probably trying to find wherever you put your fish tank."

"Shit. She's gonna be disappointed, it's at Adam's still. I was waiting until I got everything situated to bring it over. You know how finicky those damn salt water fish are."

"Oh lord, she's gonna cry. She talked about the fishies all the way here." I say dreading the meltdown she's sure to have. "I'll swing by the pet store and let her look at them or something. Hopefully that'll help."

"She's obsessed with fish still?" She asks.

"Pretty much all animals. She adores Duke and all the other boy's dogs. When we go to the zoo or aquarium she's in heaven. We're doing an Under the Sea theme at the aquarium for her birthday next week because fish are definitely her favorite."

"Damn. I forgot that's next week. How is she already turning two?"

"I know right? I feel like time has flown by and now she's like this whole little person. She has so much personality and she's just the best." I gush as the little girl runs into the room with us and crashes into Lena.

"Li Li where fishies?"

"I'm sorry Pais, they're still with Mr. Adam."

"No fishies." She says her face falling as she pokes out her bottom lip. It trembles slightly and I see the beginnings of a tantrum forming.

"Paisley, it's okay. We are gonna go see the fish and all the other animals at the pet store on the way home, okay? Next time you come over the fishies will be back okay?"

She nods and plops down on the floor next to Lena's feet turning her attention to the small tv that Lena has already turned to Bubbleguppies.

"Now that that's settled. How are you? How's Cal?"

"We're doing okay. I mean it's still hard, I don't know if we'll ever get over it, but we're definitely doing better."

"He still killing himself in the studio."

"If he's not with us he's there. It's just how he deals with things, has been at least as long as I've known him. He says they're getting some good material out of it, so I guess at least there's that."

She nods and I take the opportunity given by the brief silence to change the subject.

"So, how are you and Adam?" I say wiggling my eyebrows at her.

"We're good. It's so weird to be in a relationship, I haven't dated anyone in years but, I don't know he's just, perfect."

"Aw, I'm glad things are still going well for you guys. How long's it been?"