36.

16 weeks

Jes

Nearly a month had passed since we had been able to tell our friends of our impending new arrival. The time has seemingly flew by. Once Calum had filled me in on the Ashton and KayKay situation I had made a conscious effort to spend time with her and focus on topics less relevant to babies and marriage. She seemed to be doing better as of late, her and Ashton starting to come to terms with what their future could and could not hold. The whole sad ordeal made me incredibly grateful for Calum, our children, and the life we were building together.

This weekend was a big step for us. The boys were playing a festival in Boston and we were flying out tomorrow. Cal and I hadn't had any alone time in ages so we'd decided to let Mali, who was back in town working on her new album, watch Pais for the few nights we'd be gone. It felt so strange to be packing, we'd avoided any real trips for nearly half a year.

"Shit, I almost couldn't find my travel bag. That's a first." Cal says, walking into our bedroom with his suitcase in his hands.

"God, it's been so long since you guys have played a show."

"I know, Ashton's been freaking on us. We must've practiced like a million times the past few weeks."

"You guys going to play any of the new stuff?" I question. I move closer to him and trail my hands slowly down his torso, hoping to weasel my way to a preview of their setlist.

"Good try." He remarks bending slightly to meet my lips with his.

"Worth a shot." I reply, dejectedly.

"Is PK all packed for Mali's? She's coming at like 6 right?" He asks, looking to me over the T-shirt he's folding to throw into the bag.

"Yeah, she's gonna go ahead and grab P tonight so that they both can just sleep in tomorrow."

"Probably a good idea. Pais is a nightmare when you wake her up early." He laughs just as the little girl calls for him from her room.

"You go ahead, I'll finish up here." He squeezes my hand before slipping from the room and off to see what our daughter wants.

I throw the last few things I can think of that we may possibly need the next few days before zipping the bag shut and rolling it out to the hall for Cal to carry downstairs later.

I hear laughter from Paisley's bedroom and I follow the noise pushing the door open quietly to reveal P in her little dance outfit trying to show her daddy what she'd learned in her first lesson this week.

Cal, ever the perfect dad, is doing his very best to be a good student for her but the result of her teaching is merely Calum's large frame spinning awkwardly with his hands raised high above his head. A true giggle escapes my lips and Cal spins to face me, his cheeks staining red with embarrassment.

"Pais, I think daddy better hope he can keep his day job. I don't think dance is gonna do it for him." The little girl giggles though she probably doesn't understand my jab at her dad. Cal just shoves my shoulder lightly and scoops up our baby. She clings to him, her little hands clutching tightly to his shirt as she leans against him.

"What's wrong P?" Cal asks her as he walks down the stairs and I follow closely behind them.

"Dada, no go." She whines her eyes already filling with tears.

He spins to face me his face immediately falling into a pout.

"Babe, help me."

I offer him no assistance as the child I carried for ten months and birthed apparently does not care that I am also going to be gone for a few days. He rolls his eyes and returns his attention to the little brunette he's holding.