Chapter 1

At the top will be a name and that is the picture above.

Lucy

This is the day that my life changed: the day my only brother went missing, and both my parents died. The day I got placed in this hellhole called an orphanage. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't tried to help cook dinner at the age of seven along with my brother who was nine at the time. It happened way too fast: I have always feared fire more than anything. When the gas stove was turned on, Mom had asked me to put the saucepan on the stove with water on it. You may all be saying, why trust a seven year old, well I'm really smart for my age and the fact that I hate boys is another thing. Well, when I got close to the fire I freaked out big time. That night still haunts me in my dreams.

As I placed the saucepan on the stove I freaked out, and my nightgown caught alight. Mom and Dad tried to put the flames out with a tea towel, but of course he flames just spread, and my arm was burnt severely. What happened next I can't remember with details, but ice formed around the stove, where I was leaning on. Ice protected me while the house burnt down.

I had laid there, burnt from where the fire had started but nowhere else, while my brother kissed me on the head and left me curled up in a ball next to the stove with my parents dead next to me.

But not before saying:

"Lucy, I promise I'll come back for you."

I woke up with a start when my alarm went off, signalling for me to go downstairs. I had a shower and got dressed into a tight red v-neck and black, worn-out jeans. Let me tell you about myself: my name is Lucy Isabelle Shiver (well not anymore, just Lucy Isabelle) I'm 11, and I arrived at this hellhole when I was 7, so I have been here for 5 years. Why wasn't I adopted? you may ask, it's because I don't wanna be adopted. I cover my face with dust and charcoal, leave food on my face, and put gross things in my hair.

I have light dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. Everyone calls me pretty and cute, including the boys, but I just glare at them.

I'm turning 12 in two months, and I can't wait because when someone turns 12 here, people stop adopting. I was brought out of my mind by someone banging on my door.

"Isabelle come out here now, if you are not downstairs in three minutes, god save you!" Miss Bobbitt yelled from outside my door. 

She calls everyone by their middle names... I don't know why, though. I shrug and start brushing my hair. As I feel it down my back in natural waves, I wonder why she wants me downstairs. It's not adoption day, so I don't know.