14

𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇
you just have to get through it

ALARIC was on the MRI while Meredith, Echo, and Elena were in the other side looking at the results

"What are you looking for?" Echo questioned with furrowed brows as Meredith looked at the computer screen with narrowed eyes.

Last night, while Echo was at the Salvatore Boarding House with Damon, Elena was at him reading. She found a theory that Alaric's ring was changing him without him even knowing it. Weirdly enough, it made sense somehow. 

Being honest, Meredith said, "I don't know. A tumor, vascular anomalies. Anything physical that might explain his behavior. If it's medical, I can treat it," she told the girls. 

"And if it's not?" 

Meredith looked up at the twins. "Well... Then we'll deal with that, too." 

Echo crossed her arms and tilted her head. "When did you suspect him? That it was Alaric who was killing all of those people?" 

"It was after he told me about his ring," Meredith began to clarify to the girls, still looking at the monitors, "I remembered a story my grandmother had told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal. I don't know if you know this, but we Fells are notorious busybodies." 

Elena crossed her arms, too. "Then why did you protect him?" 

"Because I'm a doctor," she stated simply. "I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over. And, because when he and I first met, I felt like, I don't know, I... I just kind of want to help him." 

Echo looked back into the room watching Alaric who was in the MRI. Suddenly he pressed the button yelling, "No! Meredith! Meredith!"

Answering him back immediately, the doctor asked concerned, "Everything all right in there?" 

The girls waited a moment for a response before he told them, "Yeah. Yeah, everything's okay."

ALARIC, Echo, and Elena were in his hospital room talking to the annoyed man, telling him everything had come up normal.

The MRI they did came up with nothing meaning what ever was wrong with Alaric was supernatural. 

Slightly frustrated, Alaric said to them, "Because there is nothing wrong with me. I didn't kill Brian Walters, I didn't kill bill Forbes, and I sure as hell didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach."  The older man looked down at the Gilbert family ring for a moment before looking back up at Elena. Sadness mixed with anger in his voice he said, "Or I did, and I've gone insane, just like your ancestor, who... wore that ring."