36

𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓
you're not a bad person for the ways you tried to kill your sadness

AS THE TWINS and Damon walked around the streets of New York City, Elena was beginning to feel suspicious of their reasoning behind the sudden trip

"You dragged me all the way to New York because you were feeling nostalgic?" The older twin inquired, staring between the couple with raised brows.

Damon shook his head. "No, I dragged you to New York because in a matter of three days, you managed to piss off everyone in Mystic Falls. A little more difficult to do in a city of millions." 

Elena frowned, defending herself, "I was hungry."

"You were reckless," Damon countered back to the vampire doppelgänger.

Elena rolled her eyes. "I'm not the only one who did something bad. Echo bashed a boy's face into a locker at school."

"But I didn't kill him," the younger twin stated, pouting. Her boyfriend turned to her with raised brows and she simply shrugged.

Damon gave his girlfriend a proud look before turning to Elena. "Look, all that matters is that when I lived here, I fed like crazy and had a blast and went undetected for years." 

Elena slowly began to grin. " So...we're just here to have fun?" They stopped walking, forcing Damon to stop and face Elena as she asked, "What's the catch?" 

Damon and Echo shared a look before the blue eyed vampire said, "There's no catch. Look, you wanted out, I got you out. You wanted to feed, I brought you to a city-sized, all-you-can-eat buffet. That's the beauty of New York — there's so much life that a little death goes unnoticed."

Elena grinned and looked happy at the thought. "Come on, let's go get some lunch." 

AFTER ELENA WENT off on her own, Damon and Echo walked down the side walk when he answered Stefan's call.

Over the phone with his brother Stefan warned him, "Don't worry, Stefan. I got it all under control here." He reached over and gripped Echo's hand. "This little joy ride is actually a cure hunt. That vampire that Katherine sent after Hayley is a friend of mine. He lived in the city. Will gets vampires fake identities, and I'm sure that Katherine's one of his clients." He saw Echo tense up at the bitch's name, and he squeezed her hand in comfort. "Just be a good brother and keep Mystic Falls afloat for me and let me do my thing."

Turning around, they saw Elena approaching them, sporting a new hairstyle that had red streaks in them.

Damon smiled at Elena who was showing off her new hairstyle, swirling around. He then said, "You've got an immortal named Silas to deal with, remember?" before hanging up.