34

𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐌𝐄
the relief of giving in to destruction

ECHO WAS STILL on her knees when Elena and Jack arrived, beaten and bloody

ECHO WAS STILL on her knees when Elena and Jack arrived, beaten and bloody. It seemed they had a run in with Katherine, too.

Elena came to a stop when her brown eyes landed on her brothers lifeless form, and her undead heart stopped beating. Then, taking in a deep breath, she sped towards her little brother, held him in her arms, sobbing. "Jeremy! Oh, no. No!" She checked his hand to see his Gilbert ring was still on his finger. "It's fine. You're gonna be okay. The ring will bring you back. You're gonna be okay, Jeremy. You're gonna be fine."

"I'm so sorry," Jack murmured as he stood still, tears falling down his cheeks at a rapid speed. "I should be able to help. I'm so sorry."

Stefan then walked in and looked at the scene in shock. "Oh, no."

Suddenly, Damon ran in panting slightly from the vervain in his system. His bright blue eyes landed on Echo's still frame, and immediately ran over to her. "Echo!" He tried to gain her attention, but her brown eyes would never leave Jeremy's dead body in Elena's arms. "Little warrior, look at me please."

"He's dead," she mumbled, her chest physically hurting as if someone reached into her chest and pulled her heart out. "He is dead!" She shouted and turned to stare her boyfriend in the eyes who quickly pulled her into a hug, trying to comfort as best as he could.

After calming Echo down as much as he could, Damon watched as Echo walked over to Elena and Jack. The three of them stayed by Jeremy's dead body, waiting for him to wake up somehow.

Damon let out a breath and walked over to his brother. "How'd this happen?"

"It was Katherine. She must have been following us this whole time," Stefan explained with a pained look.

Damon ran a hand down his face. "What about the cure, or Silas?"

Stefan sighed heavily and shook his head. "If there was anything in there at all, it's all gone."

"Where the hell is Bonnie?" Damon snapped in stress.

"I have no idea. She went looking for Jeremy last night. She never came back," Stefan stated, shrugging. He then sighed heavily. "Damon, they are in there waiting for the Gilbert ring to bring Jeremy back to life."

"Okay, fine. I'll wait with them." Damon sighed and started walking toward the sisters and Jack.

Stefan our his hand up to stop him. "Damon, listen to me. Jeremy was one of the Five, a hunter."

The blue eyed Salvatore froze and he clenched his jaw. "He's supernatural. The ring won't work anymore." He paused and looked at Stefan. "They won't survive this." He swallowed and glanced over at the twins who were holding one another, sniffling. "I'll find Bonnie. You get them off this island." He made eye contact with his brother and squeezed his shoulder. "And you better not hurt any of them."