41

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐃𝐔𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍
you want a battle? i'll give you war

THE GILBERT FAMILY is whole once again as Alaric, Elena, Echo, Jeremy, and Jack were eating lunch together in the cemetery

Ric took a bite of his burger and began talking through a full mouth of food, "Mm. Oh, my god."

Thetwo girls laugh gleefully as Jeremy did the same thing and moaned in delight. "Mm."

"No grease on the Other Side, huh?" Elena asked with a pleased grin.

"You have no idea how much I've missed this," Ric commented then held up a bottle of bourbon. "And this." Echo giggled as she stuffed a handful of fries into her mouth as Elena snatched the bottle from him. "No, hey. Hey!" He whined while reaching out for it, but she took a swig regardless of his protests.

"She just got her humanity back. Let her live a little," Jeremy advised then reached for the bottle, but Elena held it away from him.

"Hey, you wish." The eldest sister scoffed and gave him a sharp look which quickly disappeared as Echo snatched the bottle from her, and took a large gulp. "Hey!"

"Can I have some?" Jack asked nicely as he tilted his head. "Dean only allowed me to have one bottle of beer when I—"

"He let you have some??" Echo shouted in disapproval. "You're just a baby."

He pouted. "But, Dean said he gave you your first beer when you were fourteen. And I'm sixteen."

"No, you're three years old but look seventeen. That doesn't mean anything," Echo pointed out, but then sighed and handed the bottle over to him. "Fine. But, only a little sip."

Jack took a sip, but then spit it out, and shook his head. "Yuck!" Elena giggled at his expression and smiled softly at him before grabbing the bottle from him, and then handing it to Alaric.

"What about me?" Jeremy asked, giving a puppy eyed look to his sisters. "I mean, I'm dead — what are they gonna do, throw me in juvie?" He joked with a mischievous look on his face.

"Well, at least you'd have a place to live," Ric joked right back with a smirked causing Echo to snort and choke on her fries.

Smiling, Elena started throwing her food at them. "You both suck!"

"Hey!" The un-dead guardian protested, then smiled over at her. "Now there it is – that smile. I wasn't sure we were gonna see that again."

Elena was still smiling, but it began to turn sad, as her eyes glistened with tears. "I did some pretty terrible things," she admitted then took a deep breath.

"Hey, no. No tears," Jeremy ordered seriously and glanced over at his sister. "If Caroline was right, we only have until tonight. We need a no-crying rule."