33

𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐀𝐁𝐁𝐈𝐓 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐄
some people are just born with tragedy in their blood

THE SMALL GROUP was standing around on the beach as Elena talked on the phone with Caroline, who was still in Mystic Falls

"Tell me you're not serious," the blonde said over the phone. 

Elena sighed heavily and threw her hands up in exasperation. "I wish I weren't. When we got back from looking for Jeremy, Shane and Bonnie were gone too. Shane needs Bonnie to cast a spell on Jeremy's tattoo in order to find the cure, and he managed to sneak them both out from under our noses." 

Echo stepped closer to her sister to say, "And Damon is gone, too. We went to the beach to see if he backtracked for some reason, but we saw a struggle. Someone had to have took him."

"Do you think Shane took him?" Caroline asked, sounding more confused than them. "And are you alright, Echo?"

Echo nodded even though the blonde couldn't see her. "I'm fine, just worried about my brother and boyfriend."

Elena shook her head as she got back to Caroline's first question. "There is no way Shane did it. He's not strong enough to take Damon on, even with the element of surprise. He must have someone, or at least a few someones helping him." 

"I'm so sorry. I wish I was there to help."

"Well, maybe there's something you can do from home," Elena admitted sheepishly. 

"Anything. Tell me."

"So, Shane's looking for the cure. We think we can find him. We have pictures of Jeremy's tattoo, but we just can't translate the map," Echo stated, going to tuck her hair behind her ear before she remembered that it was pulled into a ponytail.

"Unless you get the Hunter's Sword from Klaus," Caroline finished in understanding. 

"Exactly," the older twin said.

"He'll never give up the sword," Rebekah suddenly remarked sternly. 

"Yeah, but if anyone's gonna get him to give it up, it's Caroline," Stefan argued with a knowing face. 

"He will never give up the sword, not even for Caroline," The Original stressed with wide eyes. "He's terrified we'll use the cure against him to make him mortal, and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want any of us to derive a moment's worth of happiness from being human."