《42》

"Oh, hey y/n. Want some coffee?" He offered. I nodded and stepped further into the kitchen. He took out a pale blue mug and set it on the counter as I settled myself with my back to the sink.

"I sort of just set it, so we will have to wait a bit." I nodded. 

And so proceeded the awkward silence. Jungkook pursed his lips and kept his eyes on the coffee maker, which was producing the only sound in the room.

"So, how do you like your coffee?"

"Uh, sweet I guess."

"Oh. I like mine really sweet as well. I can't have plain coffee. It's way too bitter." He gave a small nod but never verbally responded.

I shuffled my feet to distract myself from the suffocating silence between us. It was morning and I really can't handle the social awkwardness happening right now. After a minute with Jungkook not making a move, I let out a sigh and push myself off the ledge.

"I'm just going to head back to the living room and see if the others have woken up." His head shot up once I opened my mouth but he slowly nodded in response before turning to the coffeemaker again. I edged my way out of the kitchen before entering the dark living room. Making my way over to the fort, I enter as quietly as I could (the noise from my shuffling sounded more amplified in the morning compared to last night). Jimin and Taehyung were still dead asleep and cuddling each other tightly. I couldn't help myself as I brought out my phone and angled the camera at them. With the fairy lights casting a gentle glow upon their peaceful faces, I snapped a photo. Okay maybe a couple but I couldn't pass the opportunity of the setting. 

Am I a creep now that I have taken photos of them asleep. Probably.

"Send me a copy of those pictures." Jungkook suddenly whispered in my ear. A shiver instantly wracked through my body at being caught as I instantly put my phone down and whipped my face towards him. He held a smirk and one raised eyebrow at my surprised state. Where was the Jungkook that was way too scared to even make eye contact in the freaking kitchen a few minutes ago?

"Oh hey. Uh what are you talking about?" I tried to brush off my actions as I gave him a confused look and shrugged my shoulders. He rolled his eyes and carefully handed me the pale blue mug.

"Hope you can balance that, would be a shame if all my hard work spilled."

"Of course I'm not gonna spill it." I whispered out while slowly crawling to the back of the fort against the couch. After settling myself in a comfortable position, Jungkook sat beside me a good distance away.

"So you really are shy around girls, huh." Even through the dim setting, it was clear to see his face heat up. I took a sip of the coffee as he tried to form a response. The coffee was very sweet, just to my liking.

"Well, only when I'm directly alone with one." He managed to stutter out.

"We aren't alone right now, are we." I gestured to the sleeping boys in front of us. Jungkook scrunched his face.

"Technically they aren't conscience at the moment so I have a right to be shy." I hummed and contentedly sipped my coffee while directing my attention to the soft feel of the blanket.

"I mean. I guess I want to... tell you." Jungkook whispered lowly. I turned my attention to him as he held eye contact with me. He set his mug down and I followed.

"I know we barely know you but you just somehow... clicked. I don't know why I feel such a connection with you when I already found my soulmates." I just nodded at his statement, not wanting to prod him to continue.

"Okay. Well. M-my mom was my dad's soulmate. I cherish their love story because of how sweet it was. My mother was older than my dad and they met during prom of their high school years. It was a masquerade theme and my mom was in her senior year while my dad was just a sophomore." He unconsciously let a small smile rest on his lips.

"My mom was not a party person and neither was my dad. She disliked her date because he kept flirting with girls throughout the night so she left to the garden provided at the back of the school. It was her favorite spot during her time in highschool. My dad didn't bring a date and got bored with the party. He just decided to ditch the whole thing and walk around the school at night. He stumbled upon the garden and was awed by the beauty of it at night. When he was exploring the area, my mother was admiring the flowers and their health." He trailed off with soft eyes as he reminisced the story.

"My father stumbled upon her by accident because of the dark setting. He fell on his back with my mom falling atop him. They shared an accidental kiss and that's when fireworks exploded. They took off their masks and revealed each other for the first time that night. Sounds cliche, I know but that's why I like their story. I remember knowing the feeling of finding my soulmate. Or I guess soulmates." His dreamy eyes and wide grin clearly showed how much he cherished his memories. His gaze went straight to the sleeping pair.

"Have you found your soulmate y/n?" I blanked when he suddenly turned his attention to me. His eyes sparkled in wonder as I hesitated with my answer.

"N-no. I haven't."

"A-ah I see. My bad, but trust me when I say it is the most incredible sensation once you finally share that kiss with them and recognize each other as soulmates."

"I'll take your word for it Jungkookie." He blushed at the nickname.

"Oh. So, back to the story. Well, the rest was history as they fell in love and lived their lives together well. There was of course bits of conflict with my mother going to college and my father being younger than her. They had their differences but I admire their relationship. My mother went off to become a famous actress and my father became a director. They grew apart a bit due to their demanding jobs, but they held strong. They  had me quite young. I had a really good childhood because even though they were busy, they always made time for me." His voice trailed off a bit at the end. His tone had started to turn somber as he spoke of his childhood. I automatically took his hand and thread it with mine. He squeezed my hand lightly in return before continuing.

"It started during the end of middle school. My mom distanced herself from my dad and I because she was busy with work. This was a normal occurrence, but this time there was a reason besides filming several shots for her show." He broke eye contact and directed his attention to our hands.

"You know. Technically you don't have to stay loyal to your soulmate. Sure they are your other half, but you don't have to stay with them. You don't have to share a family with them and love your child. You have the option to drop everything for another man. One who makes you happier than your husband or son ever could." His voice started growing louder as tears dribbled down his cheeks. He might wake up the others so I instantly pulled him into a comforting hug to calm him down. His body was shivering in my hold as I placed my hand in his hair and brushed it through. My other hand still held his as he tightened his grip on it. 

He hid his face on my shoulder and shook it a bit on my shirt. I think it was to wipe the tears, or to stop his running memories. I just let him be.

He gradually quietened down to small sniffs here and there. His other hand had somehow gripped the hem of my shirt and scrunched it in his hold. Our coffee was long forgotten.

"Take all the time in the world Jungkook. If you need anything, just let me know." He hesitantly brought his face away from my shirt and looked up at me. His eyes were puffy and a bit swollen. They held a dull look in them and I didn't like it one bit.

"Don't be sad over the actions of your mother. They are in the past, and now you are the bright boy I see in front of me. Thank you for sharing your story with me. Their love story sounds beautiful. My parents were simply set up on blind date that ended with them finding out they were soulmates."

I shrugged as he sniffled and said, "That must be sweet too. Finding your soulmate through a blind date."

"Not as cute as finding your soulmate during a cliche prom scene."

❀♡❀

A/N: In all honesty, this whole story will probably hit a high number of chapters but that's because every chapter has an average of about 1000-1500 words. I could have made each chapter longer by combining them but I've already had each chapter split up, so it's gonna take a long road trip  to get to the end. 

In any case, I don't have a question today but don't be afraid to comment 😇. Happy reading!