Chapter 22

It was 10 pm and Emir wasn't home yet. Zeynep was pacing the living room back and forth chewing on her finger nails. She tried to call him several times but his phone was turned off.

She was mad because of his behavior earlier but worried sick about him. She doesn't like it when he shut her out like that.

Suddenly her phone rang and she hurried to answer, thinking it was Emir.
Zeynep was disappointed that the call wasn't from him. It was Nihan.
Zeynep answered her immediately.

"Yes, Nihan"

"Zeynep. Aaaaaah" Nihan screamed happily, Zeynep had to pull the phone away from her ear.

"What is it Nihan? You almost ruptured my ear drum"

"Zeze. You won't believe what happened. I'm so happy "

Zeynep rolled her eyes at her sister's enthusiastic mood.

"I gathered that much. Tell me what happened?" Zeynep asked, intrigued.

"Kemal.. Asked me to marry him" Nihan replied happily.

"Shut up.. You're kidding"

"No. I'm not kidding. He asked me to marry him and he'll bring his family next week to ask for my hand officially. I can't believe it. We're getting married"

Zeynep was able to hear her sister jumping and screaming in the background.

Her happiness was contagious. Zeynep started laughing with her. Happy that at least there's something good came out of this horrible day.

"I'm so happy for you my sweetheart.. We should meet and celebrate" Zeynep suggested.

"Of course. Tell Emir, we should all hang out together sometime"

"Yeah.. I'll tell him" Zeynep said with a thick voice. That Nihan immediately noticed.

"Zeynep, what's wrong? You don't sound like yourself"

"I'm fine, Nihan. Don't worry about me"

"Well, I am worried. Tell me what happened. Did you and Emir had a fight again?"

"It's not a fight.. It's... It's a long story Nihan. I don't want to ruin your mood now. We'll talk later"

"No. Zeynep,  we'll talk now. If you won't tell me I'll come to you now"

"Alright. Alright. Don't come. It's too late. I'll tell you a summary "

Zeynep told her sister briefly about what happened. And Nihan listening intently.

"Look Zeynep, I think you're being hard on yourself and him. God knows what that man told him to make him act like that. You shouldn't pressure him more. Give him time. He'll come around"

"I'm worried about him Nihan more than I'm mad at him. He should at least tell me where he is"

"Why don't you try his apartment"

"I already called the security there. They said they haven't saw him"

"Well, maybe they're lying. You know Emir. He must have instructed them to say so"

Zeynep stopped at this thought for a second. It makes sense. Nihan is right. Emir must have known that she'll look for him there and told the security to deny his presence.

"Nihan. You're a genius. Remind me to buy you something good" Zeynep said to the phone happily.

"Well, I was thinking about this new purse D&G had launched resently...."