Chapter 35

Zeynep was sitting in Leyla's living room. Leyla sitting right in front of her. While Emir and Eyhan sat nearby to give the ladies some space.

Zeynep didn't say word since she arrived. It's like she was trying to process the things she knew about her life. How can someone process such thing? But she has to get herself together and hear the facts before she acts.

Zeynep gathered her thoughts and asked the easiest question.

"Why?"

"Why did you leave me?"
She asked Leyla after minutes of silence.

"I didn't leave you sweetheart. I would never leave you" Leyla replied.

"Then why? Explain"

"I'll tell you everything. I have been waiting for this moment my whole life"

"You have been waiting your whole life to say the truth while I was smothered with lies since I was born. Why now? Where were you?" Zeynep asked the last part harshly making Emir close his eyes tightly knowing that she's only acting calm now because she wanted to know the truth. Her real explosion is yet to come.

"Please. Zeynep let me explain" Leyla pleaded.

"Do it" Zeynep ordered.

"Okay.." Leyla swallowed thickly. This must be hard on her too.

"It all started after my father dies. Soon after he dies, we found out that he was broke and was knee deep in debts.

The man who took over my father's company was his partner, somehow he tricked my father to take everything from us including our house. I was young and stubborn, I couldn't just sit leaving them take our house. Onder was my boyfriend at the time. We're supposed to get  married that summer" Leyla took a deep breath and continued. Zeynep listened intently. She needed to hear this.

"... So, I decided to go have a talk with the man. I thought to ask him to give us some time and not take our house from us. I asked him to give us some time until we pay him for it but he was a disgusting man. He.. He asked me to sleep with him in exchange for the house. I refused. It didn't set well with him so he attacked me. He tried to rape me but I was able to defend myself, I hit him on his head with a small heavy metal statue... I killed him"

Zeynep gasped softly. Tears already gathering in her eyes but she blinked them away. It's not the time.

"... I called Onder to come and help me. Then I called the police... Under wanted to take the blame but I didn't let him. He was still young and at his first steps of being a business man. He had a bright future. I couldn't let him do it. Later I was taken to court. No one believed that I only defended myself. The man's wife  didn't want to believe that her husband is a scumbag, so she lied in Court and said that I was trying to seduce her husband for sometime and.... No one believed me. We couldn't even afford a good lawyer.....And the rest is history. Fifteen years in prison for unintentional murder" Leyla stopped for a minute to take a breathe. Zeynep was looking at her with sympathy and sadness at the unjust her mother endured.

Leyla continued after a few minutes.

"I knew later in prison that I was pregnant. I gave birth to you in prison. I wanted you to stay with me there but you got very sick the first week and I knew I couldn't keep you with me, it was really selfish of me to keep you in that dingy place. Therefore I called Onder to come and take you. And he did.
Giving you away was the hardest thing I have ever done. The pain of that moment is still digging in my heart until this moment.. " Leyla was crying openly now.

"Onder promised to bring you to me every now and then and he did for the first six months until he didn't anymore. I tried to call him but nothing. He just disappeared. Imagine my surprise later when I knew that he married my sister. Veldan, who apparently had a thing for Onder. It's like she was waiting for the right time to get rid of me. I was so hurt. So mad. They left me. Forgotten about me completely. I knew later that they had twins. They were happily married with three children. At first I was so sad but soon I got used to the pain. I thought that at least my girl has a family. She's living a happy life. That what I thought. Later I was able to have a contact with Onder. I asked him to bring you to me, to see you but he only sent me a picture. A picture of you playing in the garden... "

"The one you painted" Zeynep mumbled.

"Yes.. The picture started to wear out so I painted it. To reserve it" Leyla said smiling softly.

"When I was released from prison I went to Onder's house. I wanted to see you, to take you with me, but they didn't let me. Veldan threatened me that if I took you with me, you'll no longer be tied to them. You'll be released from your private school and everything related to their luxurious life. You'll be stuck with me. Me, who have nothing to give you. I could barely find something to eat I couldn't even find I job. Who would employ a convicted murderer. I couldn't take care of you. I couldn't take you from your perfect life to mine but I considered it. I decided to try no matter what. Until Galip Kozcioglu approached me... " Leyla said looking at Emir. Emir's interest was piqued.

This the part of his father's involvement.

"Apparently, Veldan asked him to get rid of me. Not because she cares about you. No. It was because she didn't want me back to Onder's life. So she sent Galip. He told me he'll make this city to tight on me I wouldn't even find a job as a cleaner. And if I asked for custody the results are clear. No Court or judge in the whole world is going to give me custody. It was a dead end for me wherever I go. So I let it go. I let you go. I let you go. I was helpless my child. They made this life so dark for me.. " Leyla started crying openly. So is Zeynep but couldn't move from her seat.

Eyhan hurried and came to sit beside Leyla. Rubbing her back to get her to calm down. He hugged her to his chest and waited for her to calm down. After she calmed down a bit she looked at Eyhan.

"Eyhan came to me when I thought my life is over. He pulled me out of the darkness. He was in love with me since the time when he was working for us but I never knew. I wish I knew... " Eyhan kissed her forehead.

"He told me he'll help me. He came back to Turkey to take me with him. He said he'll protect me and help me be strong enough to come back and take you... When I came to Istanbul you were in London. So we waited for you to come back. Meanwhile we kept an eye on Onder. We knew about his financial problems. And after you came back, we knew about the deal he made. I knew Veldan will throw you to the wolves the first chance she gets. We could never let that happen. Eyhan was supposed to talk with Aksoy since he knew him from his time in prison. We thought he'll let it go if we gave him some money but Emir interfered. We didn't expect that at all. We were preparing ourselves to take you. I was planning to come to your house, tell you the truth and take you with me. Out of this city. Out of this country but Emir..... He was an unexpected player in all this, but I was happy for what he did. I was happy to know that my daughter has a guardian angel.. "

Zeynep couldn't look at Emir at this moment. She's so mad at him she couldn't even appreciate what he did to her. She was hurt.

"Listen to me sweetie. You have to know that you were the only thing I was thinking of.. I didn't do anything of what I did for myself. I'm sorry I lied to you about who I was but I couldn't find a way to approach you. I thought that if we became close it will make you hate me less.. "
Leyla explained.

"I don't hate you" Zeynep said with a faint voice, almost like a whisper. Then she stood slowly. Emir stood too.

"Zeynep" He came to her and took her hand in his bit she pulled away.

"Take me to my parents' " She said curtly without looking at him. And he nodded. Emir knew that his turn in coming. And he was dreading the outcome. If she doesn't forgive him. He'll lose her. He'll lose everything.