43. Trio

--- continuation

'Zak dont blow our cover' I thought to myself.

"You're not allowed in there" my dad said coming in between us and the door.

"Why not?" I asked.

"It's a mess" he said putting a hand on the door knob.

I decided to let it go, she always kept her room clean but I don't know what might have happened those last few weeks. I didn't want to be suspicious.

"Ok, maybe another day Zak" I lightly touched his arm to signal to go downstairs.

"Sorry angel" my dad said walking behind us.

"That's fine I understand you would want it clean before having guest" I said walking back down stairs.

I walked down although that scared the shit out of me when he popped up.

I had sat back down on the couch as my father walked into the kitchen.
"I'll cook some lunch for all of us" he said kindly.

"Thank you" I said back.

'Maybe he isn't suspicious and he's a nice old man, how much harm could he do' I thought to myself.

I relaxed for a second while Zak was still aware and keeping his guard up.

I noticed that.

"Hey relax" he whispered to him tugging his hoodie.

He looked at me and didn't follow as I said.

'Could I really blame him for being protective?' I thought

'Bless his soul' I thought again this time sitting back up.

"Ouch" I said as I winced in pain.

"Ok maybe I should relax" I mumbled laying myself back down in the position I was in.

"Are you ok?" Zak asked.

"Yeah I'm fine" I said.

I told a breathe and stood up.

I walked towards the kitchen island and sat down at one of the stools and Zak sat right next to me.

"Dad?" I asked.

"Yes?" He said turning off the burner.

"Why didn't you tell me mom was dying?" I asked.

"Well she had a stroke and died there wasn't much evidence that she was going to die" he said.

"But her voice mail to me said that she had multiple before that so she knew she was passing too" I said.

He went silent.

"I guess she lied" he spoke.

'What the fuck' I thought to myself.

'This dudes gotta be on something if he's going to say something like that' I thought to myself.

I slyly grabbed my phone and pretended the check the time and hit the record button and slipped the phone back in my pocket to secretly record the conversation.

"What do you mean she lied, why would she lie about her death?" I sort of chuckled.

"Well she seemed perfectly fine to me before she died" he spoke.

"She sounded way too sick for that to just pop up out of the blue, in that voicemail he voice was raspy and all worn out like peoples voices get when they scream so much and then the next day it's dead" I said.