Chapter 12 - Waiting

Rory returned to work on Monday and got back into her routine.  She was answering emails and reviewing her articles when her assistant, Natalie, came in her office carrying a large bouquet of flowers.

"So, who's the admirer, Rory?"

"Oh, I don't know.  Probably just an old friend, Natalie."

Rory read the card.  "Look forward to seeing those dazzling blues again soon, Ace. L"

She smiled, admiring the blue hydrangeas, balloon flowers and smelling the white roses with tips that had been dipped in a sapphire blue.

Rory immediately sent Logan a text.

"Thanks for the beautiful flowers.  And I look forward to DYSSWMBA.  Oh, yes!"  R

Rory snickered at her phone and wondered if Logan would ever figure out the acronym.

"Hi, Rory,"  Nick said coming into my office without knocking and sitting on the edge of my desk.  "Secret admirer?," he asked.

"Oh, hi, Nick.  No, not a secret admirer.  Just a special friend."  I answered him with a fake, sweet smile.

Nick had made advances toward me and asked me out a couple of times.  I had rejected his advances and he was not happy that I didn't want to pursue a relationship.

"You need something, Nick?  I really need to get back to work."

"Well, not really.  I saw you with a group of men when I left the party Friday night and was wondering who they were.  You were so engrossed in conversation in the bar at The Plaza."

"Just some dear college friends I had not seen in a very long time.  Now if you'll give me some privacy and let me get back to work, please."

Just as Nick left my office, my phone pinged.  I picked it up to see a reply to my text.

"You're welcome.  They remind me of those baby blues of yours. DYSSWMBA??  Care to share?" L

"Uh, not yet.  Think about it very hard."  R

Rory liked messing with him.  She returned to her computer to continue some editing work before lunch.  She decided to go out and do some shopping in anticipation of her London trip.  She should probably think about looking for a Christmas present for Logan, too.  As she exited the building, her phone rang.

"Hello"

"Ace.  How is your day?"

"My day is just fine, Logan.  The flowers are stunning and you're so sweet to send them."

"Thanks, Ace.  Just letting you know how much I enjoyed our time together this past weekend.  So, you don't want to let me in on the acronym in the text.

"Oh, like I said, if you think really hard, I bet you could come up with it.  Are you still at work?"

"Yeah, you know the head of the joint probably has his spies watching me."

"Well, you know what they say, Logan.  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.  You better get out of there and find some relaxation."

"I know if you were here, I could definitely relax.  Unfortunately, I do have to go, Ace.  I have a business dinner to get to.  I'll call again soon."

"A business dinner, huh?  I think someone is working too hard.  Do call again soon, as I do look forward to hearing from you.  Think of me at your dinner.  Bye, Logan."

"Hmm, I will Ace.  Good-bye."