Chapter 28 - That which we call a rose...

"Really, Jess, that's what you have to say to me?  You must know that I still love Logan.  A true friend would be happy that we've reunited and are trying to make things work.  It's not all grand gestures, you know."

"Rory, I've seen you struggle over the last few years with relationships—actually no relationships.   That's because you can't let go of something that happened in college.   I do want the best for you and that's why I don't think Logan is good for you."

"Well, you don't know jack shit, Jess.  Logan loves me and I love him.  College was a long time ago and we've both grown so much since then.  I hurt Logan, too, you know.   I turned down his proposal and he was devastated by that just like he hurt me by giving me an ultimatum."

 "Okay, Rory, I get that.  But, how about the time he cheated. Can you be sure that you can trust him?"

"Yes, Jess, I can trust him.   Logan thought we had broken up because of the fight we had over you.  Yes, the fight in the pub that night was over you.   He was scared you had come back in my life.   Did you ever think how it looked when Logan drove up to my grandparent's house and you were standing there with me?   What do you think he was thinking when he saw us?   I think he was probably not trusting me too much right then.  We let go of all that nonsense of whether he cheated or not and we moved past it a long time ago.  I suggest you put it in the past, too.  Be my friend that I need and happy that I've found the love that I thought I had lost."

"I never really thought about it that way.   I can be your friend, Rory, and be happy for you."

"Thanks Jess."  We hugged and then I told him about everything Logan and I had done in New Orleans, especially the wonderful Moon River song from the yacht on the Mississippi.

 "Jeez, Rory.  That face.  You look like some love sick girl in a movie."

"Ha! You're going to put that look on some girl's face soon.   I just know it."

********************

Several hours later my phone buzzed just as I was scrolling through pictures from our weekend. Immediately, I saw it was Logan.

"Hey, babe," I said as I answered.

"I'm calling to let you know I'm home."

"Good. So you've arrived safely."

 "Yeah. You miss me yet, Ace?"

"I'm lying here looking at the pictures I took this weekend and wishing we could do it all again. What do you think?"

"Aww, you do miss me.  We'll have another adventure again soon."

"I know you're tired so I'm going to let you go get a couple hours of sleep.  Thanks again for a fabulous weekend, Logan.  I love you."

"Oh, Ace, you don't have to thank me.  The pleasure was all mine.  Yeah, I need to get a couple of hours of shut eye.   I love you too, sweetie.  Talk to you soon. Bye."

"Bye."

*********************

 As I returned to the office the next day everyone was full of talk of their holidays.  Natalie asked if I had celebrated New Year's Eve.  After telling her all that we had done, she commented, "boy, Rory, you and your friends sure know how to party.   I think I would hold on to that Mr. Huntzberger, if I were you."

"Thanks for the advice, Natalie.   I think I will hold on to him and his name is Logan," I told her smiling at her awestruck face.

After going through emails and looking through some memos, I decided I would try to see Mr. Cox about the article in London.

Tapping on his door I asked, "Hi, Mr. Cox.   Do you have a minute?"

"Sure, Rory, what's up?  How was your holiday?"

"Oh, it was great.  How about yours?"

"It was just the wife and I with the kids. A nice family time together."

 "Sounds delightful.   Well, I wanted to talk to you about the article on the mansion in London that the magazine is doing.   I just want to let you know that I will be in London in a couple of weeks attending a gala charity event with Logan Huntzberger.   I believe you saw Logan in my office not long ago.  He is the President of the European Division of HPG.  Logan and I have a history from college.  You know I interned for his father, Mitchum Huntzberger, at the Stamford Gazette.  Logan has assured me that he would be happy to help me with any contacts I might need to get the best story possible on this mysterious mansion.  I hope you'll give me serious consideration for the assignment."

"So, Rory, that sounds like it could be very beneficial to the magazine if you have contacts like the Huntzbergers.  You and Logan have a personal relationship?"

It was none of his damn business what my relationship was with Logan. But I kept my mouth shut and answered.

"Yes, Logan was a steady boyfriend of mine in college.   I recently ran into him in New York and we've started going out again.  He can be relied on to come through with what he says.  I hope you'll give me high priority for the assignment because I know I can deliver on the job.  I better get back to my office now."

"Certainly, Rory.   Give me a couple days to make my final decision."

"Thanks."

As I returned to my office, I was so mad at Cox's prying question.  My bad mood didn't last long, though, when I saw the long, white box lying on my desk.

Inside was a single, long-stem red rose with a card.

A rose by any other name smells as sweet, mon amour. L xox

A/N:  So, who doesn't want a man like Logan.  I had to throw some Romeo and Juliet in there.  You probably know that Rory is going to get the assignment in London.  What happens in London?  Valentine's Day is coming, too.  Logan always said go big or go home.  Keep reading.  Thanks for the votes and comments.