Chapter 40 - Puttin' on the Ritz

As Logan opened his apartment door, I growled at him, "Huntzberger, you're definitely falling down on the job--letting your fianceé carry her own luggage."

"Oh,poor baby," he said as he came into the hall to retrieve my luggage. Putting his hand on my waist and pulling me toward him, he kissed me passionately. "You look fabulous, Ace. I've missed you this past week." He kissed me again running his hand down over my butt.

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to come down to get your luggage. Am I forgiven if I tell you that I just got home and was fixing you a drink?"

"Maybe. What have you fixed?"

"Coffee, alcohol or me?"

"You're forgiven," I chuckled. "How about we share a drink and I'll have a long drink of you a little later tonight." I walked up behind him as he poured me a glass of champagne and circled his waist with my arms. "Hmm, you smell so good, babe. I've missed you too—a lot."

Turning in my arms Logan handed me my glass. "Are you sure you want to wait till later?" he asked as he nuzzled and kissed my neck.

"Yes, let's talk a little. Plus, I need to unwind. I'll give you part of your birthday present a little later," I said as we sat down together on the sofa.

"Ace, what's going on in that head of yours?"

I just looked at Logan. He knew me so well. "Do you know what my mom asked me? She asked me if I thought you would have staying power in our marriage. I get really tired of her using her life experiences in comparing my life with hers. I told her you were not my dad or your dad."

"Hey,she's just being very protective. That's what mothers are suppose to do. Now, I don't like that comparison she's making. But, you know that I'm not my dad. I'll be there for you always, Ace, and I'll be there for our children."

I continued sipping my champagne. Running my hand through his hair, I asked, "how do I know that you will love me the same in ten years as you do now?"

Logan put his hand on his heart and with a smile said, "Oh, Ace, you wound me. Hey, it's been almost ten years since we met. Do you love me the same now as you did then?"

"Okay, point taken."

"So, what's on your agenda for your article?"

"I have a photographer lined up for tomorrow and I'll be able to go inside with them. You want to come?"

"Ah, wish I could, but I have several things in the office to take care of before we leave."

Looking around the apartment I questioned, "I see you've done quite a lot of packing already. What do you need me for Logan?"

Pulling me down beside him on the sofa, he said, "come here and let me show you what I need you for, baby."

If there was anything Logan Huntzberger could do better than anyone, it was to show me what he needed. It was no time at all before we made our way to the bedroom and Logan received just the first of several birthday surprises.

Lying in his arms as we both were drifting off to sleep, I whispered, "Happy Birthday, Logan."

"Hmm,hmm, hmm, thank you sweetie. I love you more today than I did yesterday."

I knew he was smiling. Then, he brought my hand to his lips for a kiss, making it impossible for me not to adore him. "You have to be the best fiancé ever and I absolutely love you so much. Good-night, babe."

The next morning Logan went off to work and I went off to my appointment. The day sped by fast and then it was time to head to Logan's apartment. I got changed into my comfortable clothes and sat down with my computer to work on my article. About an hour later Logancame through the door.