Chapter 42 - Together Again

Logan and I settled into a great routine when we were together at his apartment, which was mostly every day. I kept my apartment with Jess but we were looking to find someone to sub-let the remainder of the lease.

By the end of March it was time to start getting serious about looking for a wedding dress. A day of shopping was lined up with my mom,Grandma, Shira, Honor and Steph. I wanted a rather simple dress with a little embellishment but I wanted it to have a somewhat sexy feel, too.

At a small shop near Park Avenue that Shira had recommended, I found a Lazaro dress that was just about everything I wanted. When I came out of the dressing room to show everyone, they all gave an "OOHHH". Honor was first to speak--"Logan would be drooling if you chose that dress, Rory."

It really showed off my waist but needed something extra. It was an ivory crepe trumpet gown, V-neckline with open back, hand beaded and embroidered applique accent bodice and side hip, natural waist with a chapel train. The shop owner had a very experienced seamstress come out and she asked me what ideas I might have to add to the dress. I told her I wasn't sure, but I was thinking I might want some very sheer fabric added to the sides. She suggested illusion tulle.

Honor jumped up and said, "yeah, Rory, I know what you mean. How about one or two layers of tulle added to the waist." Mom came forward, too, and suggested the tulle have some crystals scattered on it. She asked, "do you want to wear a veil? Another thing to consider is feeling comfortable at the reception." Grandma suggested a veil with the crystals.

The shop owner, Vivian, suggested the seamstress bring some tulle and we would try to create the look. Meanwhile, Shira stated, "Rory, your mother is right about the reception. You will be moving around a lot and dancing, too. Maybe the added tulle could be made so it can be removed."

"Excellent idea, Shira," Grandma suggested.

"Oh, yes, I like that. I know that I want to wear my hair down. Logan loves my hair falling around my shoulders with soft curls. So, I would only want a veil that would drape down my back. And, I think the crystals would show up best on the veil. What do you all think?"

The seamstress returned with the illusion tulle and proceeded to drape it on the sides of the dress and everyone was "oohing and awing" with the look it created. She gently attached it to the dress with pins and Vivian brought a veil that had beading on it so we could get an idea of the whole look.

"Oh, kid, you look stunning. Just perfect," Mom said. She and Grandma started to get teary eyed. Even I was starting to tear up. "Oh, yes, this is definitely the look I want. And Logan will be speechless."

"He will most certainly be speechless, Rory," Shira commented.

All the ordering and paperwork was handled and we celebrated with a glass of champagne. We briefly discussed bridesmaid dresses but I didn't have a definite idea of what I wanted yet.

Opening the door at Logan's apartment, I found him on the sofa with his laptop.

"Hello, beautiful," he said giving me a big smile. "You look happy. Your shopping trip must have been successful."

Sitting down next to him and giving him a kiss on the cheek, I answered, "It was, Logan. I found a dress. It's being customized just for me and you're going to love it."

He got up from the sofa and extended his hands. "Let's go get a drink and we can toast to the first step being started."

Walking into the kitchen I was just so jubilant and he could tell. Handing me a glass of wine, he pulled me to him kissing my neck. "So, Ace, tell me about this dress you're so excited about."

"Hmm, I might not be able to, if you keep that up. The only thing I'm telling you is that it's ivory, has a beaded bodice, a chapel train and it's a little sexy, too. Do you have a vision of it?"

"Well, no, I don't sweetie. But I sure do like that it's a little sexy. My Ace in a sexy wedding dress sounds like it's right up my alley."

"Logan,  stop. But listen, what do you think of us trying to get one of the libraries at Yale for our reception? Surely, with the use of the Huntzberger, Gilmore and Hayden name dropping we could pull it off. It would be so unique with lights draped throughout the library. And, I was thinking on each table we could use stacks of books under a cloche with quotes from Jane Austen and Ernest Hemingway. I think it just suits both of us so much."

"I think whatever you want, baby, I'm all in. The library sounds just like us and I'll do all I can to use my name to get what you want. Nothing's too good for my fianceé,"he stated giving me a very passionate kiss.

Returning his kiss, I pulled him close to me running my arms up his back.Leaning back after our kiss, I starred into his beautiful face and with a huge smile saying, "we're getting married Logan."

"Yeah, I know. That's the whole idea behind an engagement ring Ace." 

"It's finally hit me that this is real. My dream of long ago is really coming true and I'm going to marry you—the love of my life."

"Aw, sweetie, you make my heart race. My dream of long ago that you would be mine forever is coming true, too. Listen, that kind of reminds me. We said we would visit the places that brought us pain. I think it's time we make a visit to Palo Alto. Since I still have a small interest in my company there, I make a visit there every six months. I was planning to go in a couple of weeks. Let's put this behind us."

Running my finger around his lips, I gently answered, "Okay, babe, we'll go see what could have been and then, we'll be able to put it behind us once and for all. I love you."

Later that night I laid in Logan's arms feeling love, contentment and safety. I looked up into his eyes as he looked back at me. He brought his hand up to caress my face. Our kisses were deep and passionate. Our lovemaking was ever so deliberate, slow and tender.

A couple of weeks later we stood across the street from the house Logan had pictured us living in all those years ago. Standing behind me with his arms wrapped around my waist, he asked, "you see that avocado tree there Ace?" Pointing to a treetop behind the house, he said, "that's our tree."

Just then a man, woman and a 3 or 4 year-old child came out of the house. They got in their car and pulled away.

We stood for a moment reflecting on what we had just witnessed. I turned in Logan's arms and took his face in my hands. Starring wistfully in his eyes, I whispered, "Logan, I'm pregnant."

A/N:  Oh, I bet you weren't expecting that.  The wedding dress details took a little bit to get out.  It's such a big event that I thought it deserved a full description.  This story is drawing to a close as the time forward to the wedding will be moving fast.  A bumpy road is still ahead though.  Thanks for reading, voting and commenting.