Chapter 39 - Announcements

"Mom?"

"In the kitchen, kid."

With a smile from ear to ear, I skipped into the kitchen. The coffee pot was still hot so I grabbed a cup.

"Give it, missy. Let Mommy see."

I stretched my hand out so she could see.

"Mmm, more impressive in person that in the picture you sent. I'll have to say that Logan has very good taste. So, how did the proposal go down?"

"Well, Logan swept me off to a beautiful island in the Caribbean. We had our own private villa. On Saturday night we went out to dinner and when we returned, the room was lit with candles and rose petals were strewn along a path up to the bed. It was very romantic. Logan started with a beautifully written speech professing his love and then asked me to marry him. I said yes."

I could tell by the look on her face that she wasn't that happy.

"It just seems that this happened a little fast. You've only been reunited with Logan just over two months."

I sat down at the table and took a deep breath. "Mom, I love Logan. I never stopped and I didn't have to think about his proposal. I want to be his wife. He loves me and he is THE one for me. You mostly disapprove of him because he's rich and the way be was brought up. He'd not dad."

"Rory, I just want you to be happy—not just now but for the rest of your life. Do you think Logan will have the staying power in a marriage?"

"Logan is not his father. Yes he will have the staying power. I didn't know I was going to get an argument from you about my engagement. It might be nice if you could be happy instead of pouting because you didn't get what you wanted."

"Now, Rory, I am happy for you. I'm just being your mother—wanting to protect you."

"I'm 30 years old, Mom. I can make my own decisions about who I want to marry."

"I'm going to go see Lane and give her the good news. In case you're wondering when the wedding is, we're planning on early fall at Yale. I'll talk to you later. By the way, I'm going to London next week to help Logan pack up his apartment because he's moving back to the states."

I started walking out to the front door. Mom was following me. "Ror, I love you and I am happy about the engagement. I'm just being slightly cautious. That's all."

"Okay, we'll talk later. Bye."

Back in my car, I just shook my head. My mom could be so frustrating. It really was time for her to stop treating me like I was 16. As I pulled up to Lane's house, I was so excited to tell my best friend about being engaged.

"Rory, it's so good to see you," Lane said as she gave me a big hug.

"Hey, I'm missed you and I've been a terrible friend these last few months. I just had to come by to give you the big news though." I reached out my hand to show her my ring.

"Oh my gosh, Rory. It's beautiful. I'd say something this big could only come from Logan. Huh?"

"Yes. Last weekend in the Caribbean."

"So, Logan was serious then when he said he wanted to take your relationship all the way."

"He sure was."

"Well, congratulations Rory. I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks, Lane. I want to ask you to be my matron of honor."

"Oh, Rory, of course. You know I'd be honored."

"We've decided on an early fall wedding at Yale."

"It sounds just like you."

We hugged, sitting down in her kitchen and talked for a while catching up on everything. Before I knew it night had set in and I needed to get back to the city. I told Lane that I would be in touch and we said our good-byes.

***************************

My phone was ringing the next morning as I was just beginning to wake up. Reaching to answer it, I didn't notice the caller.

"Good morning, Ace."

"Hi, babe. Hmm, what time is it?"

"It's 9:30 your time. Are you still in the bed, sweetie?"

"Yeah. I didn't get home from Stars Hollow until late last night. Oh, Logan, I miss you and I need coffee."

Logan chuckled into the phone. "You get yourself some coffee, Ace. How did it go with your mom?"

"Ugh. She thought we were moving too fast. We kind of had a little tiff but she did congratulate me. Logan, I really, really wish you were here because I need a big hug babe."

"I miss you, too. Ace, and if I was there I would give you that big hug and a great big kiss. We'll be together soon and I can't wait to see you.

As I inhaled the coffee aroma and took my first sip I realized what today was and I felt awful. "Logan, I was suppose to be calling you today. Happy Birthday babe."

"Thank you, Ace. We'll celebrate big when you get here, right?"

"Oh, I have something special planned to celebrate. I think you will definitely have a very enjoyable time."

"You don't say, sweetie. I look forward to it with great anticipation."

I could tell from the sound of his voice that he had that sexy smirk on his face. "Logan Huntzberger, just you wait and see."

Mmmhmm, bring it on baby."

After a couple phone calls with Finn, we had everything planned out for Logan's birthday party. All the boys and their dates would be there and some other close LDB friends that were in London. Some of Logan's close associates from work had agreed to attend. Most likely some of the attendees were coming as they knew it would likely be a very festive party time. We had located a B&B outside London to accommodate the guests and that had a separate building in their garden to house the party activities.

Before I knew it I was landing in London. Logan had sent a car and said he would meet me at the apartment by the time I arrived there.

A/N:  Lorelai really had a hard time accepting Logan but Lane, always Rory's trusty friend, had nothing but good things to say about her engagement.  A big birthday celebration for our boy Logan is coming up.  Of course, it will be over the top.  Logan and Rory will return to New York to really be together for the first time in years.  Thanks for reading, voting and comments.  It inspires me.