Chapter 13 - Interference

Logan sat in the private room where dinner had been served with his father and some other HPG associates.  The meeting was winding down and the other associates were saying goodnight.

He needed to talk to Mitchum about bringing Rory back into his life.

His father sat back down after all the associates had left.  He looked at Logan and said, "that was a good discussion and I think we made some headway about expanding our holdings.

"Yeah, Dad, it was a good meeting."

Mitchum looked at his son with concern and asked, "what's on your mind?"

"I need to talk to you about something.  When I was in New York last weekend, I ran into Rory Gilmore."

Mitchum took a long drink from his glass and with a frown said, "Logan, that girl almost destroyed you.  I hope you're not thinking of starting things up with her again."

"Well, actually that's already happened."

"Damnit, Logan.  Use your brain, not your d---"

"Don't even go there with that crap, Dad."

He knotted his hand into a fist.  "Rory is a whole lot more to me than that.  Listen, I'm still in love with her and I'm going to have her in my life again and hopefully forever.  You damn well know that Rory is good for me.  I'm a better man with her by my side and you know that, too.  You just have to trust that she's not going to bail on me again.  She admitted she made a mistake not accepting my proposal and she wants to rekindle our relationship, too.  I've invited Rory to the charity gala fundraiser in January and she's accepted.  She will be introduced with me at that event, so just get prepared.  Let Mom know that it's not going to work out with Yvette."

Logan stood up from his chair and reached for his jacket throwing it over his shoulder.

"Your mother is not going to be happy about this, Logan."

"This is my life, Dad.  I'm not going to marry someone because you and my mother want to satisfy the ridiculous need to make yourselves appear to be more prominent in social circles all the while sacrificing your own son's happiness.  Really, it's quite sickening."

Logan left the room hoping he had made his point.  He was so fed up with the control his parents tried to rein over him.  "Why couldn't they just let it go?," he thought to himself.

Someday his father would step down and he knew he would run the company his way then.  He liked his work and knew that with Rory by his side, they could take HPG to new heights.

Back in his apartment, he poured himself a scotch and sat down to let the relief he felt roll over him.  No more did he have to pretend to appear happy in front of the cameras.  Looking around his living room, he smiled just thinking about having Rory here in a little over a month.

******************

The next morning Logan picked up his phone to call Yvette.

"Hi, Logie," Yvette said as she answered her phone.

Logan hated that name.  "Yvette, how are you?"

"I'm fine.  I haven't heard from you in almost a week.  What's up?"

"I want to know when you'll be in London, again.  I'd like to take you to dinner."

"Oh, that sounds divine.  As a matter of fact I have to be in London this weekend.  Maybe we could eat dinner in your apartment and cuddle up together.  What do you say, Logie?"

"Actually, I'll have to make an early night of it and I've already made the dinner reservation.  I'll send a car for you at 8:00 on Saturday.  Gotta get in a meeting, Yvette.  See you then."

Before Yvette could say good-bye the phone call ended.  She frowned at her phone thinking that was unusually abrupt for Logan.  She wondered if something had upset him.  Maybe she should buy a new dress and take extra care with her hair for their dinner.  "I think I'll make an appointment at my favorite spa in London and get myself looking extra special for Logan," she said out loud to herself.

Yvette was a 28-year old pretty, petite brunette with hazel eyes.  Even though she had had a privileged life, she did have the brains for business.  Unfortunately, her father didn't see her as anything more than a tool to increase the family fortune.