Always

Axel's POV

"I make enough, so that you don't have to work outside the home," I try to explain softly, playing with a tendril of her hair.

I don't know where this desire came from, but she is sure stuck on getting a job.

"I know you do, Master. I'm so grateful for your hard work, but I love baking. It wouldn't be a job to me. It would be good for us... wouldn't it?"

"I'll just work more if it's what we need—" I'd rather work like a dog than have her tire herself out.

"No," she protests, grabbing onto my arm. "I don't want you working more hours."

"You're right about it though. When we want kids—"

"I need you home with me," she interrupts me.

"Hazel.... subs don't work outside the home. I mean, yeah, some do. I-I don't make you get a job. I don't want you to get a job. You're my responsibility. Jobs are stressful, they are tiring. Can't you see I'm trying to protect you?"

"I know you just want what's best for me, but I want what's best for you. What's best for the both of us... if you're serious about kids, I need you home more, Axel..."

"You need to bond with me more before we have kids?" I mean... I understand, but I thought that she was ready for us to start a family?

"I need you home with me if I'm going to be pregnant. After that, they'll need you around too—"

"I will be," I promise her.

"Then you can't be talking about working more. I like baking, you like eating my baking. Why can't we sell some of the things I bake?"

I look away from her, focusing on anything but her.

I don't want her working.

Subs cook all the time though. This isn't something that many subs don't do already.

"How would you even sell your stuff?"

She thinks about it for a moment. "I could..." she says, trying to think. "...we could advertise to friends and coworkers for a while and see if anyone is interested?"

I run my hand over my face. The idea of her working chafes my pride, but I know I shouldn't let my pride get in the way of my decision.

"I'll think about it."  She looks crestfallen, but she nods.

I shift her in my lap, my hand going to her back.

"I love you?" I say, seeing if that will cheer her up.

She smiles softly at me and goes back to hugging me. "I love you too, Master." I rub her back as I finish the rest of my dinner. She's not hungry anymore, so I take our plates and wash them off, having her go get ready for bed.

Once I'm done with the dishes, I get ready for bed as well. I smile hearing the bell on her collar jangle as I head down the hall towards our room.

I pause in the doorway, admiring her as she cuddles up in bed, waiting for me. "You ready?" I ask her and she nods.

I smile, coming over to her side of the bed and sitting down. I pet her cheek softly, us both staring at one another in a peaceful silence.

She lays on her side facing me, taking my hand from her face and playing with my fingers. "You're mad at me," I state.

"No," she says simply, continuing to play with my fingers, but not looking at me.

"Yes you are." I scoot her over, so I can lay with her.