-12-

It takes months for the police to find out what happened to the man, they might even find out who did it, they know it's a girl. The surveillance cameras showed that.

It's prom night tonight,
I didn't want to go but I got forced, so I'm getting ready for it now.

'I told you I didn't kill the guy.' I tell Josh who's waiting for me.
We're going to get the others after I'm done, he was a bit too early.
'Oh, I know.'

'Teddy! Get your ass over here I'm not done with your hair!' Josh laughs as I run upstairs.

'So that boy..' She starts.
'It's nothing, Tori.'
'I don't believe you,' she says laughing and I only roll my eyes.
'Go get your man.' 'He isn't my man!' 'Yeah right.' I sigh and walk back downstairs, Tori follows.

'Josh meet my sister, Tori this is Josh.'

I haven't seen Tori for a while so I was surprised when she showed up all of a sudden, I like seeing her again.

'I figured you two would be family, let's go get the others.' He stands up and we walk to his car, yes his car.

We pick up Devan first, after that we get Daren and his girlfriend, next is Keith and lastly we pick up the girls. Everyone looks great and I'm nothing compared to them, but who cares. We don't fit in the car, but we manage to make it work. Good thing we aren't all going back in the same car.

We are the last ones to arrive at the location, so after taking group pictures everyone is allowed to go inside. We take some pictures with the group before we split up to do our own stuff.

What am I doing here? That's what I'm asking myself after an hour.
I'm not a party animal and you can't talk with anyone without shouting.

In the first part of the night, everyone can vote for prom queen and king. There will be two of both, because of the two different classes. The voting works through an app where it's only possible to vote once, but on whoever you like not just a selection of a few people.

'Have you voted for prom queen and king yet?' Lizzy yells in my ear out of nowhere. 'No, why would I?'
'What do you mean?'
'I don't care about prom queen and we both know who will win prom king,' I yell back at her.
'You're voting, now! Grab your phone.'

I sigh and vote on a random underrated girl from my class and Josh, of course.

'Okay done, happy?' 'Great choices!' She yells before walking away in her blue dress again.

'So you think you know who will win the price?' 'Where do you all keep coming from?' I ask Devan who came out of nowhere again. 'Stalking Lizzy.' 'Why?!' 'I want to make a move tonight! Anyway who will win according to you?' He asks to change the question.
'Keith and Josh of course, for the girls I don't know,' I respond.
'Yeah okay fair, I'm going to search for Lizzy again.'
'Don't make it awkward!' I yell after him.

He puts his thumb up in the air. I shake my head and look around if I see the others. Keith got some random girl, Daren is dancing with his girlfriend, Jo is dancing like no one is watching and no one probably is, Lizzy is drinking something and Devan is close by. Where the fuck is Josh?

'Who are you looking for?' I suddenly hear someone whisper into my ear.
I turn around to meet Josh his eyes.
'You.'

A smirk covers his face.

'I was just watching what everyone else is doing,' I defend myself.
'You need to have fun, school is over, we're going to college, we can forget about high school and most importantly you will figure out if your friends stay with you or leave you.'
'That last one didn't sound fun, neither did college.'
'Sorry I've moved a lot, a lot of different schools, anyways you need to have some fun. At least dance or something,' he said to change the subject.

So that's what I do until I get distracted by Lizzy once again.

'Ted finally! They're going to pronounce prom queens and kings!' Lizzy is way too excited about all of this.
'It's just a game of who is the most popular.' 'Don't kill her enthusiasm,' Jo mumbles standing next to me.

When someone steps onto the small stage the whole venue goes quiet, am I the only one who doesn't care? After a weird and way too long speech, the winners of the popular competition get crowned.

They start with the other class, of course, Keith won, like I already told you, he and some random chick I don't know won. After some weird pause, it's time for our class. The biggest bitch I know wins together with of course Josh.

'I told you it's a popularity contest.'
Jo hits me on the back of the head.
'Be happy for them.' I sigh and roll my eyes, no-one fucks with Jo even though she might look like a sweet girl.

The coronation ends with the duo's dancing together.
'Josh hates it,' Lizzy states laughing at him.

After a few minutes, everyone else joins in the weird dance thingy. I somehow end up dancing with Jo, probably because Daven claimed Lizzy, Daren has a girlfriend and the other two are forced to dance with their "queen".

'For the people who are forever alone or don't have a friend to dance with, we have ice cream,' says the one who's in the lead of the music before changing it into slow music. Jo doesn't leave and I don't either so we start to dance closer to each other.

'Bitch move he's mine.' Jo gets pushed out of the way. 'Are you okay?' I ask her. 'Yeah I'm fine, I will just eat ice cream. You two have fun,' she responded with a smile before walking away.

'That wasn't very polite,' I state looking the boy who claimed me into his eyes, 'Besides shouldn't you been dancing with the bit... I mean prom queen?'
'I was forced for one song and Jo's fine just wanted to let her know that I'm dancing with you now.'
'Since when did you decide it's okay to dance with me?' I ask.
'Shut up and dance with me.'

So that's what happens for a long time, just me and him dancing closely holding each other. Well until the upbeat music comes back, because it's weird to dance like that with that type of music.

'You're not walking away?' I ask when he stays close by. 'What do you mean?' 'Usually, you walk away after cute stuff messing with my mind.'
'Oh but I'm not done with it,' he states with a smirk. 'Let's leave this place,' he says after that pulling me away.

'See you guys!' I quickly yell at Jo, since Lizzy, Devan, and the others weren't around. 'Go get him!'

Originally published on: 5/5/20
Rewritten on: 13/4/20