40 drops of blood

'Teddy you're a genius!'

'Why? What did I do?' I ask confused. 'Look at the book.. look what the plasma did to it.'

I turn to look at the book myself.

'A circle with bleeding ink?'
'And that's why I'm here, it's an old language.' 'Well what does it say?' 'It's.. an other book and a number, I think a page.'

I sigh and see how he's searching for yet another book.. how long is this going to take?

'Josh..' 'Teddy not now I'm searching.' 'Josh shut up and pay attention to me!' I yell at him.

In surprise he turns around.

'What's up?' 'I'm getting tired.'
'You can sleep once we get home,' he states and turns back around but I stop him. 'No that's not what I mean.. my energy is almost gone, I don't know for how much longer I can be your personal flashlight.'
'Can you light this?'

He gives me an oil lamp.
I sigh and focus me on the lamp making a flame appear.

'Sit down and rest for a bit,' he says gives a kiss on my forehead and continues looking for a random book.

'Josh this is taking forever!'
'Honey stop complaining, the outcome is worth it.. besides I found it.'

I stand up and walk over to him and try to look over his shoulder.. he's way to tall. He laughs when he sees me trying and pulls me in front of him.

'I don't understand anything about this book,' he says frustrated after a while. 'What do you mean can you suddenly not understand English?' 'English? What are you saying! This isn't English.. wait can you read it?' 'Y..yeah,' I say suddenly doubting myself. 'What does is say?'

I turn to the book and start reading aloud.

'Teddy stop.. you're talking in that language again.' 'I am?'

I shake my head.. why is this something I don't notice?

I decided to read it myself and summarize it.

'What's Earlmare?'
'Earlmare?' He asks surprised.
'Yeah.. the text doesn't make sense.. is that an other book?'
'No.. it's my city.. the city of the elves, what does it say about my city?'

He pushes me aside.

'What are you doing? You can't read it idiot!'

I'm getting slightly frustrated because of him today.

'Sorry but it's about my city.. of course I'm worried about that.'

Yepp, I'm angry.. I'm just not telling him.

'It's talking about the secret passage underneath Earlmare.'
'That's all?' He asks confused.
'That's why I am confused, there just talking about the height and the length of these passages.'

I start to feel dizzy, so I sit down on the floor.

'What's wrong?'
'I don't know,' I mumble.

He takes the book and sits down next to me.

'It's the only page in the book that's written in this weird language.. it must contain a clue.'
'Maybe we should try spilling something on it again,' I murmur boredly.. I want to get out of here.
'We can try it.. if it doesn't work we're screwed though.'
'Honestly I just want to get out of this place, I feel so weak.'

He puts an arm around my shoulder and pulls me closer to him, I rest my head on his chest.

'I want to get out of here as well, but I can't.. I don't want to disappoint you.' 'Excuse you.. disappoint me?'

I lift my head and look him in the eyes.

'I need to find something here, we need to come closer to finding out what you are.. it will help us unite the cities.' 'And you're disappointing me how?'

He moves so he's sitting in front of me and he cups my head in his hands.

"You want to find out what you are, you want to learn about your powers.. but you don't seem to be focused on that bit. You're focused on how you can break the connection with Louise. Before you ask me how I know, I just know.'

I sigh and look down.

'What's Zeor.. it's a city, right? Where is it?' 'Zeor.. where did you get that name from?' He asks me pushing up my head to look me in the eyes.
'It's in the book Josh,' I mumble ashamed because I lied to him.
'It's the city of the witches and wizards, it isn't really close to us. It's the most northern town.'
'And Earl euhm..' 'Earlmare.'
'Right.. Earlmare.. where's that?' I ask.
'In the southwest.' I just nod.

'Anyway, what does the book say about Zeor?' 'It's nothing.' 'Teddy..' He raises one of his eyebrows.
'I just don't want to waste our time, what if we go there are it turns out to be nothing useful?'
'Tell me,' he demands.
'It said something around the lines of: Zeor knows every single magical thing, even the unexplained.'

'So we need to go to Zeor.'
'No.. we're not wasting our time. We.. I have a revolution to lead!'
'You need to understand yourself! It's the only clue we have so far.. we're going there!'
'Can you stop screaming at me!' I yell back at him. 'You're not particular quiet either. We're going there, it's our only clue. End of discussion.'

It's been really silent after that. I'm to scared to start a discussion and he doesn't want to offend me.. it's always like that. Always after a fight we decide to just be quiet, wait for what will happen.. it's all we seem to do.