-16-

'You should go home,' Josh states.
'Why?'

I had felt decently safe with him right by my side and I didn't want to let go of that feeling. I was being haunted by myself according to Josh and I didn't like it.

'Because you haven't seen your mom all week, she's having a hard time after losing her daughter as well.'
'My mom isn't home,' I mumble.
'Why not?' 'Because she's in trouble in my world,' I push his shoulder, 'Your people are tearing my whole family apart!'

I walk to the kitchen to get away from him but he follows me.

'It isn't my fault your family puts themselves on our list,' he muttered back.
'You don't know what happens in the vampire world, it's a big shame to lose family members to hunters,' I say biting my lip.
'In which way? Like being killed or... you know.. more than a friendship way.' He asked with a suspicious look on his face.

'Killed, of course, let me get this straight to you,' I push him against the kitchen counter, he leans his hands on the counter making sure he doesn't fall, 'We aren't a thing, we will never be a thing. I'm a vampire and you're a hunter, it won't work get it? We're enemies, I will never be a hunter you will never be a vampire.'

'You indeed will never be a hunter, but who says I will never be a vampire?' 'Keep your mouth shut, you will never become one. No one is going to turn into a hunter. Get it, you're a hunter, you're part of a family full of hunters. You killed many of my people while I never killed one of yours. Have you ever heard of a vampire and a hunter being together? No, exactly we shouldn't even have been friends!' I say to the boy who's still pressed against the counter.

'You're hot when you're angry.'
'Shut up!' 'No, you talked so now I can talk. Who says we can't be t..'
Before he can finish his sentence I press my lips against his.

He easily turns us around, now pressing me softly against the counter.

'So you want me, but also not?' He asks with a grin.
'I'm just afraid for what will happen.' I finally admitted.
'Is it illegal for a vampire to be in a relationship with a human?'
'No, but most of the time the human will get turned in the end. A hunter is a whole different story.'
'Is that illegal?' He responds.
'Like I said it never happened before.' 'So.. yes or no?' 'No.'

'

'Why is your mom in trouble?' He asks after a while.
'Because our family lost two members to hunters, this brings us into a lot of trouble since secrets about other vampires can be spilled or humans who don't know about our existence find out about us We don't want to be hunted down to be a victim of a resource. Someone needs to turn up for bringing our existence into danger and since I'm not an adult she's the one.'

'What are they doing to her, you said she hasn't been home.'
'Talking, nonstop talking, nonstop trying to get information about hunters if she knows any. But that usually doesn't take that long, the biggest trouble is that they want money, money for bringing us into trouble. The problem is we don't have much, so they are probably making her work for the next couple of weeks,' I say staring at the wall.
'So you lost your sister, but also your mom in some kind of way.'
'And now I have this figure who's following me around,' I mumble.

He grabs my hand and holds it, he doesn't say anything he just holds my hand and moved his thumb up and down. I lay my head on his shoulder, I'm getting comfortable. But of course, this figure comes back.

I squeak as I see him, I immediately cover my mouth hoping Josh didn't hear it.

'You squeak in your sleep all the time, you don't have to hide it.'
I don't say anything and stare at the glowing red eyes of the silhouette.

'Is he back?'
I nod. 'Act like he isn't there.'
I sigh, he knows I can't.

'Come.' He opens his arms and lets me inside of them. He runs his hand up and down my back to comfort me.
'Stop looking at it.'
'But he moves when I don't look at him.'

He puts his hand over my eyes.
'It wasn't an option.' 'No, no, no, no, n..' He puts his other hand over my mouth and pushes me closer to his body.

'Calm down okay,' he says before removing his hands.

I watch the figure get closer and closer to me from the corner of my eye. And all of a sudden the figure jumps right inside of me. It feels like I'm leaving my body, I can see myself laying in the arms of a boy, but the boy doesn't look like Josh anymore.

I can see myself with sparkling blood-red eyes staring into the void, I don't look like I usually do either, my ears are now pointy and my skin is even whiter than usual. What am I looking at, the time doesn't move but I can move, well not my physical body.

I look at Josh, well I'm not sure if it even is him and sees how his jacket starts turning translucent. A sharp pointy thing is in his pocket, I move closer to look at it, is it? Yes, it is... it's a stake, the thing we vampires hate the most but not the only thing that can kill us. Why is he carrying that around? He doesn't have a victim at the moment or... no, I wouldn't still be his victim, right? I don't believe that.

I reach in the pocket and pull the stake out, it has been used, dried up blood covers the top of it.
I don't want to know who many and who he killed with this horrible thing. He's a killer and I still love him, I shouldn't even be friends with him, to begin with.

I want to go back to my body, I want to ask him why he's carrying this around but I don't know how.. all of a sudden everything moves again and I'm back in my body still holding the stake in my hand.

'How did you... hu? You didn't move..'
'You won't believe me, but the biggest question is why are you carrying this around?' I strictly ask him.

He grabs it out of my hand and puts it back into his pocket. 'Safety reasons.' That is the only thing he says.
'What for, you know I won't attack you.' 'You're not the only vampire around here.'

I sigh and get up from the couch.

'That is the only reason, come back.'

I roll with my eyes and crawl back up against the boy.

'I still don't believe you though.'
'You won't understand,' he mumbles. 'Why not!'
'Do you believe werewolves, fairies, elves, monsters, and all those other mystical creatures exit?' 'Not really.'
'You're never in your world are you?'
'I don't understand,' I respond in confusion.

'It's nothing, don't break your head over it.'

Originally published on: 29/5/20
Rewritten on: 11/7/22