9

~Seraphina's POV~

I looked up as I sat in Mrs. Kabir's class, who was my art teacher, when I felt a soft tap on the back of my shoulder. To my surprise, Dennis' soft blue eyes met my brown ones and I was reminded that he shared this class with me, peering up at him in surprise. "Oh. Hi." I said softly, watching him as he sat down beside me.

Dennis gave me a smile. "Hey." He greeted, scooting in beneath the table. I bit my cheek and looked down at the table, knowing that we were supposed to be working on the project she had assigned us to have turned in by next Friday, but I didn't have a partner. We were supposed to pick our own, which was a dream to most of the kids in this class. They weren't antisocial nerds like I was. "What are you doing over here?" I wondered, clasping my hands together in my lap. He peered at the side of my face and lightly shrugged his shoulders. "I noticed you didn't have a partner, and I was wondering if you wanted to work with me?" He offered kindly, peering down at me. I bit my lip and glanced up at him, wondering to myself if he was being serious. "R-Really? You'd be okay with that?" I asked hesitantly.

He smiled and nodded his head, the depth of his blue eyes glinting with amusement. "Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" He chuckled, causing me to blush in embarrassment and look away. "I dunno. I guess I just thought...well, I'm not popular like you and I thought you wouldn't want to work with a nerd." I muttered, studying my nails awkwardly.

"I'm not Malachi, Seraphina. I know you're a nerd, but that's not a bad thing. Just means you're smart." He shrugged, causing me to smile softly. "Thanks." I said, looking back up at him again. He seemed to be genuinely nice, and I got to wondering if maybe I could make a friend out of him at some point. "So," He smiled, grabbing the paper she had handed out to us all and pulling it closer. "What would you like to do?" He asked curiously. I bit my lip and looked down at the paper with him, reading over the page carefully. "We could do the poster." I suggested softly, looking up at him to see how he felt about that.

Thankfully, he smiled and seemed to be fine with that suggestion. "Okay, sure. Sounds great." He agreed, nodding his head. "Would you be okay with meeting up after school? Or on the weekend?" He asked, running a hand through his light brown hair. I paused to consider it and nodded. "I think the weekend would be good." I decided, realizing I probably wouldn't have time after school. I already had my own homework and had to cook dinner, so I figured that the weekend was a better time to do it. "Okay, cool." He smiled, pulling his phone out of his pocket. "Why don't you put your number in? We can talk more about it later." He suggested, so I did exactly that and put my phone in. I smiled and slid his phone back to him once my number was in his phone, sliding my arms through the straps of my backpack.

"See you tomorrow." He grinned as the bell rang, dismissing everyone to go to their last period class. I nodded and stood up, watching him leave.

**

"Hey, bitch." Carmen chirped at me as I walked into the house after school, making me look over at her. She was still laying there on the couch, like she had been when I left. "Hi." I frowned, looking down at Chester as he came running up to me and jumped on my leg excitedly.

"How'd your day go?" She asked, standing up off of the couch with a smile on her face. I picked up Chester and held him to my chest as he licked my hands, walking over to the other couch to sit down. "It was okay. Um, just so you know, I have someone coming over this weekend." I mentioned, causing her to raise a brow. "Enzo?" She assumed, which normally would have been the correct guess. However, I shook my head, obviously surprising her. "Is it a boy?" She asked, her brown eyes widening in excitement.

My face warmed and I nodded my head. "Yes, he's a boy, but—" I went to tell her we weren't even friends, that he was only coming here for a project, but she didn't give me the chance. "Oh, my god!" She squealed, making me sigh as she bounced excitedly on the couch. "A boy! You have a boy coming over! A-A boy who's not Enzo!" She giggled, smacking me excitedly on my knee. I went to correct her that this wasn't as big of a deal as she thought it was, but Luke suddenly came sauntering in from the kitchen, one of his brows raised. "What the hell is going on in here? All I heard was you yelling "boy!" Over and over." Luke snorted, plopping down beside me as he peered over at Carmen curiously.