40

~Luke's POV~

I sat in the kitchen early on Sunday morning, drinking coffee while I watched Nina cook breakfast from my seat. I'd tried to offer to help her, as I always did, but she refused my help, as she always did. She could be such a stubborn girl and I both loved it and was drove crazy with frustration from it.

While she cooked, she softly hummed to herself and I hid a smile behind the coffee mug in my hands, wondering how I managed to snag someone so amazing. She was perfect, in every possible way. I watched her as she lightly pushed the eggs around in the pan with the spatula in her small hand, scrambling them. Her body swayed lightly, seeming to have a song stuck in her head, and I watched as her nightgown flowed around with her movements. The smell of eggs and bacon filled my nostrils, making my stomach rumble hungrily.

As I sat there, admiring her while she went about cooking, Carmen suddenly came fast walking into the dining room where I was with a little frown on her lips. We hadn't spoken very much since we'd broken up, just every once and a while. Not because we hated each other or anything, just because she was gone a lot for either work or to see Terrence, who she was now dating. I forced myself to look away from Nina and met Carmen's eyes, noticing that she had an odd look on her face as she looked back at me and pointed out of the room, towards the living room. She wanted to talk with me privately.

My heart spiked up a few beats faster and I set down my coffee, standing up as I followed her out to the living room. What could she want to talk to me about? And why was it so important that she felt she needed to take me out of earshot of Nina?

When we entered the living room, I turned to Carmen and tried my best to keep my face straight, not wanting to look suspiciously worried or anything. "What's up?" I asked casually, peering down at her. I crossed my arms over my chest and she crossed her own arms over her chest as well, narrowing her eyes up at me with a hard frown on her face. "I found something in the bathroom trashcan just a few minutes ago, Luke. Wanna guess what it was?" She said, cocking a brow up at me.

And I probably should've known exactly what she was talking about, but I just stared cluelessly down at her, having no idea what she was talking about. "Uh..." I frowned and furrowed my brows, lost. "I..dunno." I said slowly, shaking my head. She didn't necessarily seem angry about whatever it was she'd evidently found, just a little frustrated.

Carmen grumbled in annoyance and rolled her eyes. "A condom, Luke." She deadpanned, sending me an unimpressed look. I awkwardly pursed my lips and looked away, not knowing what to say. My heart was pounding by now, assuming that she had pieced together that Nina and I had been far more than friendly with one another, and I opened my mouth to try to explain it away. However, no words came out. I just opened and closed my mouth like a fish washed ashore.

"I'm not mad. We're not dating and we don't love each other anymore. Screw whoever you want." She assured, causing my shoulders to loosen a little with relief. Then, I was a little confused. She didn't care that Nina and I were together?

"But please don't leave your used condoms in the bathroom for Phina to find in the trash." Carmen added with a scolding tone and a raise of her brow. Just like that, all the pieces fell into place and I understood. She didn't know anything about Nina and I. It seemed that she just assumed that I had brought someone home, fucked her, and that was it. However, that was not the case.

For a moment, I just looked down at her, my brows furrowed. "Right." I muttered, trying to hide my amusement. She was worried about Nina finding my used condoms when Nina was exactly the person I was using them with. "Sorry." I said anyways, not wanting to talk about this anymore. I was afraid I'd start laughing at the irony of this conversation, because there was a lot of it.