Aadat

A loud sound of honking made Sameer get up with a jerk. He looked around, trying to get the bearing of where he was. He patted the bed next to him, flustered at finding it empty.

Slowly, the reality sank in... he was in  his hostel room... Naina was not here.

Rubbing his eyes, he took a deep breath. The clock showed the time as four in the evening. He blinked hard, then checked again. Yes, it was four o clock. He muttered a curse under his breath, for sleeping almost the whole day.

The grumbling in his stomach brought the realisation of missed lunch. Making a sad face, he got up and went to the washroom. When he was out, wiping his face, the foil wrapped paranthas caught his eye. A smile spread across his face.

"Aaj tumne bacha liya... warna shaam tak toh halat kharab ho jaati." He picked up the packet and looked lovingly at it.

Sitting down to eat, he had broken the first bite when a thought occured.

"Agar Naina bhi so gayi hogi toh... uske paas kuch khane ko nahi hai... kya karegi... ab kaise pata karun." He was worried.

When he couldn't find an answer, he decided to go and check if she was in the balcony.

Going behind the building, he saw the door of her balcony open as always. The stand and grill were filled with washed clothes. She had been on a washing spree it appeared. He could see all the outfits she had worn in last one week.

"Ek din ka bhi chain nahi hai... agar kal dho leti toh kuch ho jaata kya... aur itne saare kapde ek saath kaun dhota hai... thode thode karke dhona chahiye tha na... kitna thak gayi hogi... main Naina ko yeh sab kaam nahi karne dunga kabhi... sab kapde  laundry mein hi denge... waise yahan bhi toh laundry hai... main deta hun apne kapde... fir Naina kyon nahi deti... kyon itna kaam karti hai... ek toh raat bhar soi nahi, upar se aate hi yeh sab karne mein lag gayi... iss ladki ko har cheez ki zyada hi tension rehti hai." He went on blabbering, perturbed by her habit of doing too much work.

He stood holding the paranthas in hand. When there was no sign of her for ten minutes, he picked up a pebble and aimed at her balcony. Had he thrown it, Naina would have been hit... she had walked out the moment his arm went behind to bring in the required force.

She held her palms in front of her face, protecting herself in reflex.

The pebble dropped from his hand. He grinned, waving at her.

She scrunched her eyes, wondering what he was trying to do.

Was it his imagination or she had turned even more beautiful in last few hours... the sunlight falling on her face made it glow, her eyes were softer, hair seemed to be forming a silken halo around her... he tilted his head to a side, pressing his lower lip under the teeth, and stared, mesmerised.

Naina waved once... he did not respond. She rubbed her eyes... maybe he was an illusion... the image didn't go...

"Sameer." She called out softly.

He continued to glare, biting his lip. She saw the packet of alu paranthas in his hand... he was real. She could imagine him but she wouldn't imagine Sameer with paranthas.

"Sameer." She called out again, a little louder.

He straightened, looking around. There was no one. He turned his gaze back to her, with a smile.

She twisted one hand in question.

He lifted the packet of paranthas, asking softly, "Tumne khana khaya?"

She dipped her head to the side, then pointed a finger at him and asked the same question by gesture.

He shook his head.

Kabhi toh Nazar Milao Part 2जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें